Instead of a make believe friend my 4yr old has a make believe place. Is this normal?

For over a year now my son asks me on a daily basis if we can go to "D.R.S.". When we ask about it whatever we are doing or whatever we have, they have it at D.R.S.. I finally started answering him with "yes, as soon as I figure out where it is." He moves on....

Yolanda R.

Asked by Yolanda R. at 11:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would ask him more questions about it. Maybe it isn't imaginary. Maybe he misheard something like Toys R Us or something he saw on TV, or that a friend told him about. If it is indeed imaginary, then I would say it is most likely very normal, and even creative.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• we have asked him every question we could think of including who went there with him. He says we all went!!! Personally I think its creative, I've just never heard of it before. But then he is an original!

Yolanda R.

Comment by Yolanda R. (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Yes, with an active imagination. My son has make believe places, friends, pets, and stories you would not believe. And I love it. When he wanted a sister, there was a sister store and he had a million details about it, including directions.
    Daily, his make believe place is in our back yard and it's just an area he calls his house. He plays in that area all the time. If I step into his area, he will start doing different things like making me taco salad.
    Just go with it. It's not hurting anything. If you get in the car, ask him to tell you how to get there and see where he takes you... It could be a fun thing to do.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Tell him to draw picture of it. That should be interesting for you, and could help further is creativity!
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:10 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• marybeth927 that is too cute! I bet it is a sign of intellegience!! CarriePM thats a great idea!! Thanks!!
    Yolanda R.

Comment by Yolanda R. (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• They say that an active imagination is a sign of intelligence... But since he's only three, I haven't figured it out yet. We will see.

But I really would just play along with him. It encourages him to be confident and I'm sure he will come up with funny things, too.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 12:20 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i used to have one!!!!
    raeyliNlilysmom

Answer by raeyliNlilysmom at 12:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• D.R.S... toys r us?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My 4 year old daughter has a very active imagination lol. She is always coming up with places and people that dont exist. I think its just normal and its his imagination. He has a good one so I wouldnt try to change that. Next time he asks say "yes but you'll have to lead the way". This also might help you determine what exactly he means and what it is.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2011