My son is 20 months & I was trying to change his bedroom routine....I usually give him a bottle & hold him until he falls asleep

I was trying to just put him down & make him cry it out & fall asleep on his own..well he freaked & jumped from his crib! so now Im back to the old way which is getting tiring..hes heavy! lol & he moves 100 times in my arms until he falls asleep..Anyone have any suggestions before I loose it?

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 11:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try to lay down with him in your bed, he can roll around as much as he wants! Thats how I put my daughter to sleep, we cuddle, give kisses, and she rolls around endlessly till she snores.
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 12:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• If he can jump out of the crib its probably time to transition to a toddler bed, we did at 15mths when my daughter jumped out of the crib. That way your doing both at once, instead of getting him to sleep on his own and then having to transition him to the toddler bed, it may take some time as he needs to unlearn what he is used to, but it should only take a couple of nights for crying it out, (if your consistant) for him to know your not coming to get him and self sooth himself to sleep, GOOD LUCK!!!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Get him a toddler bed and see if that works. I never had this issue with my daughter. She was sleeping in a twin bed by the time she was one. She wouldnt always go to bed when I put her in it. Sometimes she would play in her room and fall asleep when she was ready.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Break him of the bottle first - give him a sippy cup of water and keep holding him, then when he's used to that just hold him for a few minutes but put him to bed awake, but stay by his bed rubbing his back or belly. Once he's used to that, walk out of the room before he's sleeping. And go from there. But the bottle needs to go first thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• he'll follow me out of the room...someone in a playgroup told me to close his door..but that sounds kind of mean : /
    sissaymay

Comment by sissaymay (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• u should have broke him from that and a bottle a long time ago now its going to b hard! n if hes jumping out his crib he needs a toddler bed jst close the door when u walk out he will go to sleep on his own even if its n the floor just pick him up n put him in his bed that way he knows your not going to hold him!!!
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I know believe me Ive tried my sons the fussiest baby ever! he would wake me 5-6 times a night when he was younger that i would just hold him ...but now I know hes way past the stage where I should be doing this was just confused what I should do now that he jumps....so just closing the door so he cant get out isnt a bad thing? with him screaming bloody murder?
    sissaymay

Comment by sissaymay (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• twin bed with safety rails, move once he's asleep. expect to go back several times a night for a few weeks.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Instead of closing the door, put a gate at his bedroom door. That way he can still hear you until he falls asleep and will still still let him know that you want him to stay in the bed. Give him some stuffed animals in the bed so that he is not alone. Maybe even a crib musical, that you can also put on a bed, that he can turn on will help.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 12:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• As for the bottle try taking him to the store to pick out a cup to use at night in place of the bottle. My son is 3 yo and still wants some milk before bed. My 5 yo daughter still asks for a night time drink every now and then. When she does, she wants it in her "night-night" cup. Since they choose the cup, it was easier to get rid of the bottle.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 12:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2011