What helps with dry skin in toddlers?

My 1 year old daughter has very dry skin and nothing I have tried allevaites the itchiness she seems to have I have tried everything from johnson and johnson baby lotion to aveeno baby lotions and nothing is working any suggestions

MsSmoove

Asked by MsSmoove at 11:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Aveeno Baby for sensitive skin. No dyes, no fragrance and it has dimethicone which forms a barrier to keep moisture in.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Take her to a pediatric dermatologist. She might have a skin condition that can be easily treated. My son has eczema and we were told to put cortisone on him when it gets red and itchy, and were also prescribed something stronger for when it really flares up, but you should definitely run it by a doctor first.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• also pawpaw cream or sorbelene cream
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Avenno Baby is really good, but have you tried Vaseline?
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Also, as soon as she is out of the bath, coat her in Aquaphor. Reapply it a few times a day.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:01 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Hydration - is she drinking enough water? And try Cetaphil, both for her baths (keep them short & cool!) and lotion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Aquaphor or Eucerin. A little greasy feeling, but great moisturizer. Take her to see the doctor. My son has eczema and has a prescription for his skin that helps tremendously.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Have u tried giving her an oatmeal bath? What about coconut oil? Maybe she has eczema. Have u seen a doctor?
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Another thing is, bathing dries out the skin. Our doc told me to only bath my son two to three times a week and keep them very short.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My son has severe eczema, and we were told the opposite, Marybeth, that daily baths followed immediately by Aquaphor to seal in the moisture would help keep his skin hydrated. The pediatric dermologist agreed but also gave us a prescription. Funny how docs have differing opinions on these things. Guess you just have to see what works.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:16 AM on Jun. 16, 2011