How do I tell my father and stepmom to stop butting in while I am disiplaning my child?

I will be telling my son to stop doing something then out of no where you hear everyone one else yelling at him too and I really don't think thats good but I don't want to be mean and tell them that they can't disipline him all together just I don't want everyone doing it all at once so how can I talk to them and be nice about it?

Everettsmom163

Asked by Everettsmom163 at 4:31 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Relationships

• You can be nice, but you need to be FIRM and sometimes those two don't mix well. Don't do it when an incident has just occurred. Wait. Let them know that you are the mother and if you are around, then YOU will do the correcting. If they see something that is dangerous or if he might knock over something, then, of course, they should correct him immediately, but for those other things, they should either tell you or if you hear or see it, they should allow you to discipline him. If you have to repeat this, then you might consider whether you were firm enough the first time or if 'nice' is what you rally want to be.

SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 7:28 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• my sisters always do that so i came up with a plan. i hold my sons hand and tell him not to do it again and since everyone is trying to discipline him he gets scared so i hug him and say, hez fine, he said sorry and promised not to do it again. and everyone goes back to whatever they were doing.....
    lucie08

Answer by lucie08 at 4:37 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Upfront is the best way to go. You dont want your kiddo to feel ambushed. I would talk to them indiviually. At least they chime in.. My mother tells me "oh he's just a baby" He's 2! (or will be in Jan)
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 4:37 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• You need to thank them for their help and politely ask them to refrain from doing so in the future. Now.. MY way would be to yell STFU at them, but that might not be the best route. LOL jk
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:39 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I just don't want everyone getting mad and acting weird I'm glad they help it's just how cm2tx08 said it I don't want him to feel ambushed plus then it also makes it to when I do say something to him he doesn't listen
    Everettsmom163

Answer by Everettsmom163 at 4:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I have thought about that but my husband is gone in the army and this is the only place I have tell he comes back from being deployed I also have a daughter on the way so I need the help just not the stress
    Everettsmom163

Answer by Everettsmom163 at 4:46 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Well, dont worry about your family getting upset b/c you are making a decision for your child. Would you rather stay away from family gatherings or just tell them to back off?
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 4:46 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i understand my mom does the same thing daily she calls like we are going to kill them or something i love me kids i don't ever what to hurt them but when they do something really bad we will spank there lil bottom, it's my right...and what no one seems to remember when i was growing up i got spankings to i think it made me a better person in a way but she calls are my grand kids ok today we don't even spank hard for my kids it's the thought of getting a spanking they don't want one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I didnt get spanking until I was like 12 and it was too late. I was a freaking brat when I was a kid. I say do what you gotta do as long as u dont bruise 'em, make 'em bleed, or neglect them. I llok back and wish my Mama wouldve put me in my place... but I was the baby. :)
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 4:58 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I would be upfront with your family. Pull them aside and let them know that you don't want them to stop disciplining, but if they hear someone else say something, then don't say anything else. Once is enough. Or that if you miss it, then they can say something, but give you the chance to correct the behavior first. Everyone yelling at him will traumatize the poor boy! But good job on actually disciplining!!!! Too many people don't. :-) Good luck!
    MathMom28

Answer by MathMom28 at 6:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2008