My son is not eating right.

I try and try to get my kiddo to eat right, but I'm not having any luck. If it's not chicken nuggets or junk he doesnt want it. I make all these GREAT meals, nothing. Sometimes he'll even chew it up and spit it out. What's goin on here? Isn't he hungry? I'd be starving.. I don't know what to do. I have been giving him pediasure to make up for the lost meals, but I think that's just as bad.

CM2TX08

Asked by CM2TX08 at 4:51 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Health

• I've wondered the same thing with my 2 y/o. It seems their taste buds have adjusted to certain foods. I know others who make their kids eat what they are having or they get nothing. I haven't had the guts to try this, not when my kid is so skinny. I just pray he grows out of it.
    Lovefeeties

Answer by Lovefeeties at 5:20 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• How old is he? When my son was little, he was going through a time where he didn't want to eat. I asked the Dr about it and he told me that as long as we are providing healthy, properly prepared food that's fresh for each meal (leftovers are ok, but not the same thing meal after meal, and not pulling that crap of if you don't eat your dinner, you'll have it for breakfast crap - which, btw - we didn't EVER do, and we did provide the food, but he was just making sure when he told us this.)
    Offer him his meal. If he doesn't eat it - fine. But NO snacks, and, unless he's sick or the Dr says so, no pediasure. If he eats his meal, and he's hungry between them, then snacks (within reason) are ok. If he doesn't, then no snacks. (But you can serve the next meal a little early).

Kids who are otherwise healthy, and who are offered good food with a nice variety will NOT starve themselves.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• oh - one other thought

He also said that keep in mind that there will be points in their development that they just aren't going to be eating as much, because they aren't growing as fast. Toddlers tend to "slow down" on eating, because they aren't growing and developing at the same rapid pace they were as a baby.

sailorwifenmom

• Oh - btw - my kids were pretty thin, and they still are (my dh and I were, too, when we were their age).

But they were always healthy, they have good eating habits now, they like a wide range of food (and aren't picky eaters in general) and developed without any problems. It didn't take very long for them to figure out that we meant it - they needed to eat their meals.

They're now almost 16 and 14 1/2.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2008