Army wives preferably to answer this please. What happens when a soldier lives off post in a apartment and has to move out after lease is over and

he has 22 exact days still in the army but no where to sleep/live? And his wife and kids are back in there hometown waiting on him to come home after his ETS? DH is getting out of the army aug 22nd, we are flying late july. Lease at the apartment ends last day of July and if he stays here past July 31st he has to pay $700 something dollars for month to month rent. Even if he is here in the apartment for 1 day. We cant afford a hotel, on base lodging or him just staying here at the apartment. we need that money for other more important things. He has no friends to stay with anymore. Does he talk to his Commander in letting him live at the barracks for 22 days? His unit is deploying this July and im sure most of them are single and live in the barracks and wont be there. what is the big deal for him to just stay there for 22 days? And we want to still keep our BAH

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• He needs to let his CO know and they'll bring him back on base to live in the barracks until it's time to depart the Army.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• You need to have him talk to his Commander. Explain the whole situation. If there is room in the barracks then he can stay there. If not he will have to find another place. You could go on Craigslist and see if someone is renting a room for the days. We live on Fort Campbell. There are furnished rooms off post and they are only $200 for a month or a pro-rated rate for days. Look and see if they have something like that near by. Good luck.
    SweetPea726

Answer by SweetPea726 at 1:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• He could see if there is room in the barracks for those days. But, since he is still get BAH I would think they would tell him he can pay for a hotel. I am not sure, we are Navy but when my husband was still at his last base for the last few weeks (before he went to Iraq) and we were waiting at my parents he stayed in the barracks. But I know many barracks are full.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 1:46 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• He should be able to stay in the Barracks, or get 10 days in a hotel as part of his clearing. He should know all this.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• he can live in the barracks but it all depends on the unit but more than likely he will have to stay in a hotel!! it all really depends on if there is room in the barracks and if his unit wants to help out which honestly when you are ETSing they dont care bc they r pretty much done with you!! my husband got to campbell before i did and got a barracks room but when i got there they wouldnt give me a room since i was married and there was no room at the hotel on n they werent allowing me to stay in his room for the weekend but i did anyways but we signed for our house that monday so at the time i didnt have money to stay at a regular hotel!! but that was the inprocessing barracks so they had limited room anyways and came up with some BS excuse!!!
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 1:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• you dont get 10days for that!!!!! just to let you know!!
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 1:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• He can ask to have the rent prorated for that extra 22 days. But it would still be close to the total cost, since it's almost the full month. I'm not sure if they allow individuals to stay in the barracks unless they are on unaccompanied orders or unmarried. I know with my DH's unit (Marines), you have to be unaccompanied or single to live in the barracks.

Also, the BAH thing, I'm not sure you can get it if you live in the barracks unless you are unaccompanied. And you all leaving willfully doesn't make him unaccompanied.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Who has he talked to about this besides you?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Nobody
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2011