Is it normal that my 19mo DD doesnt like it when DH & I hug

my DD gets very upset and angry when DH and I hug or even get close as a matter of fact. When DD sees us, she comes running over and quickly separates us or comes between us and pull me away. She is quite protective of me I think... but is this normal.

urban_baybee

Asked by urban_baybee at 2:27 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes I have heard of many children that do this.....my son actually smiles when my husband and i hug
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 2:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• yeah normal, i like it
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Oh yeah! My DH & I get near each other, Joey (2) thinks that he has to be in the hug too. Even if we're just sitting or cuddling together he has to be in it. Our daugther (1) is sort of the same way. If we're sitting down, she thinks she has to be held. Thats just her being spoiled a$s rotten! :)))
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My daughter does this and she is 4. She starts to cry and say she doesnt get a hug and kiss. I think she just feels left out. When she was younger she was more clingy to me because I'm a stay at home mom so if I gave my hubby attention she would throw a fit because she was use to getting all my attention. So we just set time aside after she went to bed to cuddle and stuff. Let your son know that you love him and its ok that you and daddy share a hug and kiss and then give him a hug and kiss too. It might help.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Lol my dd gets jealous when my husband and i hug or kiss so she'll do the same to each of us lol (thats how my dh gets her to kiss and hug him! he makes her jealous lol)
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i did that as a child, i went to school and studied kids for 4 yrs and understood it wasnt normal! it means the relationship with the child and parent isnt fully developed and sees attention being given to other ppl but not to them selfs, but being constant about your affection for eachother is a good thing for her to see! :)) it sounds like you and her have a great and close bonding relationship but maybe not as close with your DH, maybe he should take her to the store with him or go on a walk with just her letting her know she is just as important to him, and then the next night all of you do something together with maybe dad sitting in middle saying " you both are my favorite ladies!" but then also that its okay to have mommy and daddy time, alone. but that you love her but to be good mommy and daddys you have to be alone sometimes, she should come around more than and be more excepting of physical contact with your hsuband
    amberpowell

Answer by amberpowell at 6:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2011