Why is is so hard to find age appropriate clothes for teen gals?

At a school dance I seen gals with low cut dresses,high cut skirts and heels i would not even wear. The gals were 7th and 8th graders. I have a son but was amazed at what the gals walked out of the house wearing.

RobinChristine

Asked by RobinChristine at 3:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Because modesty doesn't sell, and it's something that is not being taught to young girls now a days. I was fortunate in sending my daughter to a Christian school, where they have a strict dress code, and standards the kids have to live up to rather they are in school or out of school. It won't change until enough mothers refuse to buy the trash, and insist on more appropriate clothing for their children. It is a real challenge every year to get her school clothes and dance dresses that are appropriate. But you can find them if you search long enough. My daughter has not been allowed to show cleavage, and nothing she wears can show her undergarments, which let's out spaghetti straps! Her shorts have to come to her finger tips, and her skirts or dresses must reach her knees, even if she stoops or bends over. Her jeans cannot have any holes in them, and they can not be frayed. We have found beautiful prom dresses on ebay,
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 4:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• this really surprised me the way gals were dressed. I actually have a son but have a 5YO niece and wonder about her
    RobinChristine

Comment by RobinChristine (original poster) at 4:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• We have avoided the mini-skirts by getting long gowns. When they are strapless, she wears a shawl or a stole over her shoulders. We have the dresses custom made and shipped, they usually get here in two weeks, and the workmanship is excellent. We save about 75% doing it this way. I'll help guide you through the process if you want. It's fun looking at hundred's of dresses, instead of 10 or 15, and picking your colors for the dress, my daughter and I really enjoy it. I guarantee after you do it once, you will never go to a store to get another dress! Then my daughter usually gets some outrageous heels to go with it! The shoes are always the hit of the ball!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 4:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I agree, they are little girls trying to be big girls way too soon, if you ask me! I look at their make-up when I am picking up my granddaughter from her public school, and I just shudder. You have to wonder where the parents are.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 4:13 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Oh it's crazy. I have a 12 year old daughter, and i'm very picky about what she wears. If I feel her shorts are too short, then she wears bike shorts undernieth them. It's awful whats out there for girls
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• You can find it. It is the parents that are allowing their children to dress like this.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:28 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Yes, there are decent dresses out there. My teenage granddaughters wear modest but cute clothes. They have dresses with TOPS...LOL...and spaghetti straps that are not low cut. It might take time but you can find "normal" clothing for girls. Good luck!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:47 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It is NOT hard, you just have to put your foot down and not allow the indecent clothes. I see a lot of teenage girls wearing decent clothes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2011