What should I do about hubby sifting through old emails in my email account?

Hubby and I were split up for a few months. Recently when I was at his place I did not close out the web browser clearly. He had access to my gmail account which is my main email. He went through and read a bunch of stuff. I am upset because in the past he has deleted stuff out of my LiveJournal that he did not like.

He thinks he should not be punished since he told me that he read stuff. I think he should have just closed it and moved on. He only told me because he saw stuff that bothered him.

nycte

Asked by nycte at 6:48 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Relationships

• i dont see why people would give her hell about this i dont care if your married or not you have a right to your privace. and as far as the " He thinks he should not be punished" your all taken it the wrong way i am sure she proble me meaning that he dosent think there should be consaquesces for his actions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• first of all the comment he thinks he should not be punished? is he your child or your husband? and why would you look up your email while at his place couldn't you wait til you got home? sounds kinda like maybe you wanted him to find it. but it was his computer and you did leave it up i would have looked too i mean who wouldnt?
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:15 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• It's like reading a postcard sent to someone else. It may be something one does without really thinking. I'd suggest letting it go, trying not to have things you don't want him to read where he can get to them, and being sure to log out and also delete history when leaving someone else's computer.

Answer by Bmat at 7:22 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• It is not just that he read a few emails. It sounds like he read every email between myself and my best friend plus most of the other stuff.
    nycte

Answer by nycte at 7:42 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• He had NO right looking at your email when you are not even together. Even if you were, email can be private mail. Why on earth should he think you should be punished? That is so childish. Is he a control freak? I would tell him what he could do with his "punishment" and never check mail at his house again.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 8:06 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• PS Make sure you change your password and always lock your computer up when you are done with it so he cannot access your computer if he is in your house.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 8:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i think this is a leasson to you really...you cant just close the screen you have to actually click the sign out button...next time you know better.

but seriously whts this about punishing him?? what the hell? how would you punish him?
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 9:01 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• There shouldn't be anything on there that you can't openly and willingly share with your DH. That being said, I do think he was wrong to look through your account without asking. It sounds like he had reason to be suspicious though.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 9:02 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Sounds like another issue is rearing its ugly head.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 9:28 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• do you have something to hide? otherwise i wouldn't get bent out of shape about it. and if you do have something to hide then maybe you should have logged out properly.
    3lilgems

Answer by 3lilgems at 9:49 AM on Dec. 12, 2008