When can my 1 1/2 month old go swimming ?

I've already bought her swimsuits... went to the Disney store in the mall &got one that was 0-3 months in size. So.... ?

leeshalovesit

Asked by leeshalovesit at 4:16 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, the chlorine and chemicals in the pool will be bad for her, especially if she swallows any or gets any in her lungs. Babies are very cute in swimsuits. Take her with you (LOTS of sunscreen--babies burn very easily) but don't put her in the water.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 4:22 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• that is a little young to be in the pool... still i don't think dipping her feet in would hurt. if she likes water. i probably wouldn't use sun screen on one that young either. just take a thick umbrella or something to shade her from the sun.
    rebecca_tal4

Answer by rebecca_tal4 at 4:32 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• 6-9 months is when we took our LO, however.. check with your local pool and see if they offer Mommy and me swimming classes and see how young they allow babies to enter, also, talk with your doctor.. don't rely on the "overprotective" crazy moms on here for everything, check with your doctor.. that is what we pay them for ;-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• No sunscreen before 6 months. The youngest I ever took any of mine in the pool was 2 months, the pool is heated and we had turned the temp up. Only the bottom 1/2/ of her body was in the water and of course she was in my arms the whole time.
    Just because you have a 0-3 size swimsuit doesn't mean it will fit. My 11 month old is still wearing a 0-3 size swimsuit! She's 14 lbs, so she's tiny for 11 months but still . . .

Answer by missanc at 8:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My baby will be 2 months on the 24th &she was weighed a few days ago, she is 10 pounds now(she was 6 when she was born). Lol I've already put her in the swimsuit... It fits her perfectly :) I also have size 6months &9months since she seems to be growing kinda fast... ah &Theyr just too cute ! I was thinking about those mommy &me classes for next summer... or to a year-round indoor heated pool.
    leeshalovesit

Comment by leeshalovesit (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Babies are not only in water for 9 months, but some are born in water. Some are taught to swim at a couple of months old. I had all of mine in from the get go (4 of them) and they are all excellent swimmers. Just be careful, some of the floats they have for the babies actually tip over when they move. I got my granddaughter one of those ones that fold up, the springy ones, and that one stayed open just fine.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• NO sunscreen prior to 6 months, and really the chlorine & stuff isn't great for them either the first few months. I waited til about 6 months or so with all of mine. Yeah, it's fun to dip their toes & stuff, but actually swimming at 2 months, not the greatest idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I personally think the sooner you start the better, my son is so afraid of the pool because we didn't take him often enough.
    It's a personal choice, my son was out in the pool just shy of 4 months.
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I took my daughter to an indoor pool when she was just a few weeks old but I worry about all the chlorine they inhale so I haven't been back to the indoor one. We will go to our pool at camp next week and I'll sit with her and let her splash her feet (she's 2 months, now). No sunscreen, though. Read the labels, they all say at least 3 months old, most state the baby should be 6 months. Get a big floppy sun hat that matches her swimsuit or take a big umbrella. Being in the water is good for them and fun for you so enjoy it!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 11:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2011