Would you testify against your child if they commited a crime?

Ok, I was watching The View earlier. And I found this VERY interesting. They were talking about the Casey Anthony case, while I do not follow it I do know what is going on. Anyway, they were talking about her mother and how when she was on the stand for the prosecution many of her answers were not good for Casey. The ladies were talking about if they would testify against their children. Joy (who is agree with about 2% of the time, lol) said she would NOT testify and would even LIE on the stand.....really? I mean, this is a murder trial! She may have murdered her little girl, the mothers grandaughter. I am pretty sure (obviously not 100%, you never know till it happens) I would want my child to pay the consequences if he commited a crime and I would never lie for him! What about you? Would you lie for your child? Would you tell the truth even if it meant putting your child in jail?

ILoveCade

Asked by ILoveCade at 5:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes I would. Even if it'smy own child, if they do wrong, they should face the consequences.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 5:30 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• That is a hard one and honestly.. if it were murder just so she could go our and party I would. If it were something stupid and less "life changing" I wouldn't!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would not lie to protect my child. If they murdered someone they should face the consequences. If they were bold enough to kill someone they probably wouldn't be someone I would want to be around of feel I could trust. I'm thinking prior to that the bond I had with them would already not exist if they were that type of person. To murder their own child, that is incredible. I would be thinking of my grandchild which I am sure her mom hasn't stopped thinking about. A minor thing I wouldn't be so willing to testify, however, I doubt I would lie to protect anyone. I can't imagine it would do any good.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 5:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• what a hard Qstn !!!! im honest and hate hate hate hate lies .. but i really don't know what to do if im in front of my child in cours an d i don't know what to do in that kind of situation really .... hope never be in...... oh God make me never know this kind of situation please -Amen
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 6:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would absolutely testify against anyone, even my own child, if he/she committed a crime, especially murder. I have not followed this particular trial either nor do I watch The View. Killing a child is a horrible, horrible crime. I hope justice is served big time!
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 7:28 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Yes, i would testfy against them if I knew they committed a crime.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 8:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It would kill me!, but I would do it! That is my biggest peeve liars!!
    tarameigs

Answer by tarameigs at 8:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Can you imagine being in that position? It has to be hard. I can't even imagine. We all want to think our child would never do something like that. Obviously though "children" do though. I don't think I would lie on the stand. But if there were any doubt in my mind as to whether they did it or not I would do whatever I could to not take the stand.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:18 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Yes, I would. Especially if my child killed my grandchild. I have already raised my child to adulthood, now it's time to protect the grandchildren. I said that from the beginning of this whole thing. But in any case, you are not helping your child by lying for them. You are helping them get away with something. And as hard as it is to see your child in jail, your job as a parent is to raise them to be a responsible adult. If they missed it along the way, you still need to teach them that, not matter how old they are. There is nothing wrong with being there for them after the fall, but lying is not doing them any justice.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Having been in the position to work with dozens and ozens of situation where a parent is in a position to answer questions about their adult child concerning the safety and well being of a grandchild - almost all the time a parent protects their child. Even lie for them. To a judge, to law enforcement, to social workers....it does not even phase me any more. I have come to expect it. Mainly, I truly think parents can't comprehend or believe the child they raised could rape, drug, kill, beat their grandchild. So instead it goes something like the mom is a whore who is blaming my son or some other rationalization. But yes, I would testify against my child so that help for him is possible. Nothing good could come out of not being truthful.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2011