How do i get my 3 1/2yo back on track?

Hello,
my boyfriend and i have raised his son together since he was six months old. His mother normally had him on weekends give or take a little, that being said we have had him well mannered and potty trained to the point were we could take an hour plus car trip and no accident. However end of april she took him and kept him in hiding, we just got him back a week ago and well she had been putting him in diapers and he was right back to peeing (and pooping simetimes) in them. we've got it down to always poop in the toilet but he still wets him self often and as far as being well behaved thats a struggle too. Any ideas on how to get him back to normal?

Bently11

Asked by Bently11 at 5:01 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• just keep up what you are doing, let him know that he used to do it and it made you so proud. poor kiddo must have been through hell!
    Just keep it up and be consistent with repotty training, manners and behavior, he will catch back on and become "normal" again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Stay calm, loving and supportive. You might talk to his pediatrician and/or a counselor. He has been through a traumatic event and it takes time to undo all that she did. Make sure he knows he is special. I wish you all the best.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 6:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I agree with the above posts - remain calm. See the pediatrician. Be patient. But also, have him evaluated to ensure that she did not physically or sexually abuse him, and get him immediate help if she did. He is feeling insecure right now, and making it to the potty is not high on his list. The more you can make him feel safe, the sooner he will recover. Can you have her visiting rights revoked? What about supervised visitation, only? Also, check your own emotions. Do you worry that she will do this again? He could be sensing your fears, which makes his own fears escalate. Teach him about emotions. Teach him to express himself. Tell him that its okay to be angry. Help him learn how to express anger appropriately. Let him yell, or get him a punching ball. Get him some paints and let him paint of picture of how he feels. Let him talk, and help him learn the words he needs to use. Make sure he knows you love him!
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• thank you all. i;m not yet a mommy so i just am at a loss for words or thoughts and want to do the best for him. ill talk to his dad about getting him evaluated i havent thought of that yet. and as far as her rights as visitation we filed for custody of him and today was the day that marked her no reply so we are filing for default first thing monday!

As far as my own emotions im sure he senses my fear and hurt we dont leave the house often cause dads at work and since there is no custody agreement she could take him from me if dads not around. im trying my hardest!
    Bently11

Comment by Bently11 (original poster) at 4:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2011