We had to put our dog down yesterday and kids are mad at me for it

how do i make them he was sick and was dying with out upsetting them?

NorthStar115

Asked by NorthStar115 at 6:52 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Aww! That is sad and hard! I am so sorry for your loss! tell them how much u miss the dog too.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:14 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• They just need time, that's such a hard thing to go through! Kid's see things differently, they can't always comprehend the need to do something like this, all they see is they lost a family member they love. time will heal they're pain but meanwhile, make sure they know it was hard on you too! Sorry for your loss!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:16 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• A lot depends on their age; if they are too young to understand, they may stay mad for a while. Even if they are older, it just takes a while to go through the grieving process, and anger is part of that process. You are just a convenient target. Just continue to support them and allow them to vent.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:16 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Sorry about the loss of your dog what helped me explain it to my 6yo was a poem called "The Rainbow Bridge" it really "helped" my son a lot. G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would just tell them that he was super sick and in a lot of pain and the doctor and you guys decided to let him go to sleep and not wake up than to continue to be in so much pain. So sorry for the loss of your pet, it's a hard decision to make, but ultimately you made the right one.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Anger is a normal part of the grieving process. Give them time and continue to be supportive.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:19 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• k thanks for all the help its just he was born on the same day and year so thats what the were sad about they already know about death the dog was like a brother to them
    NorthStar115

Comment by NorthStar115 (original poster) at 8:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• you can't control other peoples feelings. Just let them feel the way they feel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My kids were mad too when we had to put our German Shepherd down. They blamed me for a while but they understood and were ok with it after a while. It was hard.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 6:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think honesty and compassion for their feelings is the way to go.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2011