I feel TERRIBLE and I SHOULD!! Pet owners.

I feel compelled to write this because myself as a pet owner didn't realize the full extent of health issues animals can carry, nor that their well being could be so messed up un-noticeably!

I owned 4 cats and had what i thought was a wonderful routine. In the morning I would give them all breakfast and then let them outside around 8am for the day. They would come back for lunch around 12ish and then go back out for the afternoon. I would take them back in around 7pm before dusk for the night and repeat. I ended up moving and was unable to bring my lovely extremely expensive cats with me so i gave them away to good homes.

I received a call from one of my cat takers and he said that he brought my cat to the vet (for the first time) and during her physical they scanned and found 12 ulcers lining her uterus. I was appalled and embarrassed!!! I have owned cats my whole life and I had heard throughout the years of people bringing their cats to the vet and spending the $700 a year for their up keep but in my personal opinion as long as they ate, shit, and acted normal they were fine. I HAD A RUDE AWAKENING. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about my poor little kitty and how under my care she had severe problems and I didn't know, or TAKE ACTION AND BRING HER TO THE BET LIKE I SHOULD HAVE.

So I am writting this to all you pet owners. PLEASE, don't think like I did. Animals need vet care JUST as much as we do.... I feel awful and I should!

momamay2010

Asked by momamay2010 at 6:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Pets

• Thank u for the informative wake up call!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• You are so right!

Answer by older at 8:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• How come you never took them to the vet?
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• They probably took the cat to be fixed. Why else would they have found ulcers in the uterus. They don't just find things like this and it is unlikely even if you had your cat to the vet every week that it would have been found. Don't feel bad. I have a farm, we do not use a vet all the time, because it is unnecessary. Most things can be taken care of at home and the vets here agree that it is a waste of money to be constantly bringing animals for "well" visits. The more animals are taken to the vet, the more illnesses they tend to have. Ask my mother who always has something wrong with her cats. Do not feel bad at all.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I agree with attap5, I don't even take myself to the doctor for no reason, why would I take my animals to the vet?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• justme.........except for shots, I don't take my gang to the vet unless there is something obviously wrong with them.

Dont be so hard on yourself sweetie, this could have happen to anyone.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 9:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I only take my cats to the vet for rabies shots unless something is wrong with them. I do their other shots at home myself. This is a really good reason to always get your cats fixed. There are many health issues that can be avoided by getting them fixed
    Aislin

Answer by Aislin at 5:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• And if you would have known what would you have done? Spend the hundred's maybe even a $1000 or more taking care of the problem. Many of us don't have that kind of money for animals. We all do the best we can, and provide the best kind of home we can for the animals we have. Any kind of life we provide for this is better than being on the streets or in the shelters.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Had your cat been spayed like she should have been, this wouldn't have happened. Sorry, but you should feel bad. All animals need a routine check up. N one is syaing they need to go the vet every time you turn around, but they do need a yearly physical--at least! Females that arent spayed are especially prone to health issues with their female organs. Spaying or neutering in the beginning is the best thing you can do for your pets. I'm glad whomever adopted your kitty gave them the care they needed.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 7:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2011