what do you do when your dad's girlfriend doesn't like your child?

she gets along with me and my dad, but she can't stand being around Charlotte. she'll act like she gets along with her and everything, but you can tell that she doesn't really want to be there or be with her. we've tried to get her to spend some time with Charlotte to see if she gets along with her better, but she just doesn't want to know.

courtneysmith

Asked by courtneysmith at 7:04 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Relationships

• Nobody has to like everyone. Why push it?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:04 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i wouldn't worry about it your father and your daughter are the ones that are important and should matter
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:12 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• How long has this relationship been going on? Also have you talked to her about it. Some people just don't like young kids. If that is the case then things will change as the child gets older. As long as she isn't physically hurting the child or saying nasty things about her then it probably isn't just your kid she just doesn't like kids period. I know I can rarely tolerate anybodys kids under 6 but my own ...after that I have no problem and most kids really like me so she could just be like that.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about it either. If she's not around children very often, especially young children, her tolerance level may by very low where as a Mom's is pretty up there...lol PP was right...what really matters is the relationship between your Dad and your child rather than his girlfriend.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 7:42 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Ignore her and don't make any effort. It's her loss.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• She is just a girlfriend, maybe she doesn't want to get attached to the child and then something go wrong with your dad and her relationship. Or maybe she doesn't know how to act around your daughter. Some women can be very hostile towards dad's girlfriend especially when they can put their kids in the middle. Maybe she is afraid of that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Don't push it. it may take time for her to like your child. I agree with the other person.."not everyone has to like everybody" as long as she is civilized.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My dad started dating my stepmom when I was 7. I had my little firl when I was 31 and she was excited aout the baby but was almost afraid of her. My dad kept tying to get her to hold the baby and she could't have been any m ore uncomfortable. She never had her own children and my LO was tiny. As she got bigger, my stepmom got more comfortable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I know it's a little hurtful that somebody doesn't appear to like your child, but:

Maybe it's not just your child she's uncomfortable around.
    Maybe she has a valid reason for not liking your child (from something in her own past).
    Maybe their personalities just don't click.

As long as they're polite and respectful to one another, I wouldn't push it.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Tell her to get over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Dec. 12, 2008