Natural Beauty Pageants for kids?

What are your thoughts on natural beauty pageants for kids? We are moving next year, and where we are moving, they have a few natural beauty pageants throughout the summer. The one I was looking at give the proceeds to charity, and they focus on community service, grades, etc. They also focus on building self-esteem, helping the kids to make friends, etc. I think this would be positive for our kids (we have 3 girls and a boy, but our son wouldn't be in this--he's very busy with karate and other sports).

The guidelines are that they cannot wear those flipper things, extensions, makeup, etc. It's their natural beauty (which I think is awesome!!!). They also can wear any dress they want, as long as they are around knee length or longer (so none of those tiny glitz outfits).

So, what are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• That sounds far more sensible. I would consider something like that for my daughter.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:38 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i think it sounds good, a lot better than all those other fake ones
    proud-mummy

Answer by proud-mummy at 7:39 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• And take from their mothers all the fun? I don't have girls but my opinion about these events is that the mothers are the ones who actually enjoy this. Their mini-me (s) with hair extensions, and exaggerated makeup, and gown dresses is all they want to see. Is going to be difficult to convince the mothers and judges that the girls can show all their natural talents without all the glamour.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• *take away
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Better than the other kind, but I'm more concerned about it making beauty seem important to young minds. it's still sexualizing them- natural or not.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 7:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• to each their own, but honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable putting my daughter in any sort of pageant. Any time beauty becomes part of the judging equation you lose me. Basing a competition on looks - natural or otherwise - is just not something I want my daughter to think is 'ok.' I think DD's adorable and she certainly gets enough compliments to that effect from others that know her and those that don't. However, I think her personality and her intelligence are 1000xs more special and I'd much rather celebrate those than her looks. I know you said this competition focuses on grades, community service, etc -- but there is still a looks element to it. For me, personally, that's a turn off.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 8:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I think beauty pageants of any type for young girls are showcases for pedophiles. Absolutely not.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 8:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• The one I read about isn't about sexualizing them. They focus on what's on the inside by basing their "awards" off of grades, community service, charity (one thing they have is for raising money for a charity), talents/hobbies, etc. They don't base the awards off of looks. But they do let the kids dress up. You aren't supposed to do their hair all up, they can't wear make-up, etc.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• sounds like fun.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• If it's not based off looks- it's not really a beauty pageant. it's more like the awards ceremony for a community award.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 10:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2011