How can I get over my fear of driving with my toddler?

I've only driven with her 4 times since she was born. I am absolutely terrified of other drivers on the road.

jekr43

Asked by jekr43 at 7:17 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I understand your fear. However you don't want to teach your child fear. So realize that if the baby seat is properly installed and you drive defensively that you can only control your car and your reactions. No one else's. I would just do it. I've always belived that fear is just False Evidence Appearing Real. It will lessen the more you just drive.

granmaw56

Answer by granmaw56 at 7:29 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I had gotten into a car accident when I was 19, by the time I had my son at 23, I was still terrified to drive.............I got hit by someone who ran a red light. It's scary, but the only way to get over the fear is to jump in with both feet. There are risks whether you drive or not that could put your life and the life of your child in jeopardy. The truth is, there is going to be times where you don't have a choice and you HAVE to drive. Your toddler is going to pick up the tension, so it's best to try your best to move past it. (My fear was that my child would either die or someone would kidnap him.......when he was first born. I had to realize that I can do everything right and it's ok to have a fear, but it was not rational.)
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:15 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• suck it up...but if its so much that you have panic attacts and such you shouldnt be on the road with or without your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Dec. 12, 2008