This is sudden our dog was put down and my kids are asking for a new puppy

is it to soon or should i get their minds of the dog

NorthStar115

Asked by NorthStar115 at 8:32 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Pets

• I think you should give it like 6 month. Before getting another dog.

Answer by louise2 at 8:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• they say to not get the same kind of dog that you had before then this happens because you compare.
    but then I would think that you would probably compare anyway.
    if it was me I'd give it a little time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it as long as they know the new puppy is a new family member and not a replacement. If they think that it is a replacement, then life means little.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:39 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• When we lost one of our dogs due to a terrible collar accident, the kids & our remaining dog seemed lost. I was the one who needed more time. We finally went to our local humane society shelter & the kids picked out our newest addition. She was just what the kids & our other dog needed! She's 11 y/o now & I'm glad we only waited about a month- b/c someone else may have gotten her! You'll know when the time is right! Sorry for your loss. And good luck w/ the new pup when you do decide it's time! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would wait a bit.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• nop i dont think so !!! they just miss a friend ;)
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 8:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Our cat died, and my husband wanted to get another right away. So in a couple weeks we had two kittens. I think it was too soon for me. I am still grieving over our other cat. The kittens are cute, but it isn't enough to take my mind off of our other cat. So I agree with several months before getting a new puppy. Let them have a good grieving period for their old furry friend.

Answer by Bmat at 8:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• He was a Saint Bernard (full blood) he died of a tumor in his left paw it spread to his heart and by the time we found out it was to late
    NorthStar115

Comment by NorthStar115 (original poster) at 9:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would give it a little time first. They need to grieve so that when a new dog comes into their lives they are free to give it all their love. Plus you want to take the time to find the right dog for you, not just the first dog you stumble across.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would play it by the children...that is if you are ready for another dog.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 16, 2011