Bulk shopping vs couponing...

Ok I've seen that show Extreme Couponing and I have to say "Kudos" to those people who have managed to get so much for so little legally, but I do believe that they are NOT healthy people as they are hoarders of a different type. (I mean 10 years worth of cake mix?) and never seem to get any vegetables.
So I started to think... I buy in bulk a lot at Costco/Sams Club/BJs. Basically meats I cut down with my grinder, TP and personal hygiene items. Even with sales and coupons I cannot get as good prices on them in the regular stores. (the discount on gas at the pump is great too.)All veggies are from the farmer's market and for the rest (pet food, & other one shots) I go to the local grocery(which also collects points for gas).
So I was wondering....which do you think is a better way to go? Bulk shopping or massive couponing?
Is there a coupon site for fresh veggies?
And yes I do save enough at the bulk stores to cover the cost of belonging.

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 8:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Shopping

• It really depends. There are certain things I can get cheaper at the grocery store with coupons and others are cheaper at BJ's. My grocery store doubles coupons up to 99 cents, so watching for sales and combining my coupons works really good sometimes. I actually just rejoined BJ's and managed to certain foods that will last us approx 1 month and I still used coupons! I saved $24 using Bj's coupons and manufacturers coupons!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I honestly do both. I buy diapers, meat, ice cream, veggies and dry goods at BJs. They let you use one BJs coupon and one Manufact. coupon or two manufact. coupons. I know what costs what and make my choices based on sales/coupons.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 8:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Yeah I do couponing & save around $10-$20 every time I go to the grocery store, but I only spend like $100 at a time at a grocery store. I do not have the room in my house to buy in bulk like that. I do think its kind of crazy though 'cause who really needs like that much mustard & that must steak, ect. Even with a deep freezer, I think meat after awhile still will taste freezer burnt. Now, yes there are a few things I wish I could have a lot of around my house that we go through often, like ketchup, 2 liter sodas, pasta & sauce, but again, we just do not have the room for it. I get my veggie & meat coupons from Kroger. The more I shop there, the more they send me in the mail, & its usually something like, $3.00 off when I spend $10.00 in fresh produce.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• you just have to figure out what works for you....i shop at about 4 different places for different things...i use coupons, i shop at costco, i shop at the dollar store, a discount food chain (grocery outlet) my shopping trip usualy takes me about 6hours in one day but i say a lot and i get it all done at one time and have free time the rest of the month to enjoy my family....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• guess it depends if you wanna be healthy or not. last night one lady had 6 freezes full of frozen pizzas and other crap of that nature. sorry I prefer to pay more and eat healthy
    notjstasocermom

Answer by notjstasocermom at 11:27 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• most of the time couponing is just buying junk you really don't use unless it's like toilet paper paper towels or trash bags did you know liquid dish soap and liquid bodywash and shampoo's and conditioners curdle after awhile from not being used??? I'ts weird but true i bought the 10 for $10 vo5 shampoos and conditioners and suave body washes and also ajax dish soap and it all curdled from not being used right away. Plus the fact they get stinky
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2011