Child support

those of you who recieve childsupport, was it ever explained what it should be used for...?
my sons father is giving me a hard time , says his child support should cover the two days hes at day care ofr that cost, well he pays 92 a week and daycare for two days is 86.40.... kinda struggling with this concept.

jenn660

Asked by jenn660 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• needless to say we will be going back to court, the last time we went he agreed to pay half but is now saying that was never agreed upon
    jenn660

Comment by jenn660 (original poster) at 8:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It is for whatever the child needs! Daycare, food, shelter, shoes, clothes, diapers, formula, etc....
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• If you go back to court, they are likely to make him pay half of that cost. Support is to be used for anything that the child needs, which includes not only their personal items and gifts but their share of the living expenses, such as shelter, utilities, food, etc. It is actually set up that the child is not punished for the parents divorce, so the children can live in the same way as they lived before the divorce. There is nothing set in stone on what that money is to be used for. Off note: You are paying $86 for 2 days of daycare? Shoot, I thought about watching kids overnight for people that work nights and was only going to charge $50 for the entire week. Going rate here is actually only a little more than that for days.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Child support is for the care & support of the child/ren. It can go to cover costs of housing, food, clothing, etc. Some divorce agreements add extra for health care, private education or child care. Child care costs are usually calculated into the formula beside the income of each parent. No one told me, so please be prepared when your child is about half way into their senior year of hs., they will hold payments until after they graduate to avoid over payment. Wish I would've been prepared for that. Oh well, we survived, but a very unpleasant surprise when you're trying to plan a graduation party! GL! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• yes he is supposed to pay health care, that hasnt been done yet, the last time we went to court it was about other issues, and did not discuss support, other than the half of day caare but that was not put in writting
    jenn660

Comment by jenn660 (original poster) at 9:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• mrs mom, they didnt do that to me, I got my last payment the month my son turned 18, maybe because he was out of school already? but as for the OP, unless there is a specific clause in the agreement that some of the CP goes to daycare, then you can use it how you see fit, but dont expect to make him pay extra for daycare unless it is ordered
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 9:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• is your son not suppose to eat or play? I can't understand his thinking either.anyway he should count his lucky stars that 92 a wk is all he's paying, & not tell you what to do with it.You know what your son needs :)
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• yeah he was the one that wanted him in the structed daycare, we agreed on this now he is going back on his word , im getting frustrated so we will go back to court he has a better job now so he should be payign more
    jenn660

Comment by jenn660 (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• In Washington child support is for the support of the child and the one paying has NO say on where it goes but it is for the child's needs, including housing... child day care is a sep issue and needs to be worked out and probably divided similarly as the payment for child support... for example 60% paid by Dad will be 60% of child care costs most likely! Check with your state!
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• personally i think he is giving me a hard time cause him and his SO are having a baby and loooking to get a bigger place so more bills fo their own!! thats what i thinnk
    jenn660

Comment by jenn660 (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2011