How long should my 6 week old stay awake for at a time?

i know every baby is different but sometimes she stays up a very long time. and from what i heard theyre not really spose to be up more than 2 hours. but shes almost always up longer than that. and i hear theyre spose to sleep 18hrs a day!? she doesnt sleep NEAR that much! maybe 10? is this normal? shes also cranky quite often so maybe its from being over tired but i have tried literally everything to get her to go to sleep when she looks tired but it doesnt work. well, except the car but i cant drive every 2 hrs to get her to go to sleep lol

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was the exact same way! I used the book written by Harvery Karp "The Happiest Baby on the Block" to help her sleep more. I have known parents to use this method for ages up to 10 months old!

He useds the 5 S's to help infants sleep:
    Swaddling (Your womb was cramp and kept her from startling himself with his reflexes)
    Side or Stomach Positioning in parent's arms(I always did the side)
    Shushing Noise (for white noise, sounds like your womb)
    Swinging (Your womb was never still for her)
    Sucking (Pacifier, usually the thing she wants the most!)

Start in this order from top to bottom. He also mentions to be vigorious with your shushing, swinging and do a tight swaddle!

Keep us updated!!!!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 4:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2011