Why at each OB appt. do they ask "are you burning when you pee"?

I should know this answer, but I guess I just never questioned it. Is it because they want to make sure you don't have a bladder infection? or do they have another reason behind it?

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would think the same, my OB doesn't ask this question..
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• They don't ask me, but UTIs, yeast and other infections are very common during pregnancy. It's probably good that they ask, because I know loads of women who got UTIs in pregnancy that quickly morphed into kidney infections and caused lots of problems.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My doctor never asks me this either. They usually ask how I'm feeling, if the baby is moving and how much, and if I have any contractions and if I have any questions.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• THey would ask it to make sure you do not have a Urinary Track Infection. UTI's are caused by bacteria that can get in your vagina and cause a yeast infection. It is best to avoid any kind of infection while pregnant. Especially these because they can harm the baby.
    gibsongirl017

Answer by gibsongirl017 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Yes, yeast and other infections can occur so they like to ask.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2011