Do you trust your neighbors?

Recently there was a break in down the street from my house. The guy was out of town and didn't tell anyone he was leaving town. He was gone for nine days and someone broke in while he was gone. Whenever we leave town we let our neighbor know we are going to be gone and they check on the house.

On a similar note....it is really scary when a break in occurs so close to home. We live in a nice neighborhood where the kids are always outside and the parents pull out lawnchairs and congregate while the kids play.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• In our old neighborhood we would, but we really don't know our neighbors in the new area. We do know someone around the block and have them check our house while we are gone or have a friend who stops by. I understand the way you are feeling. We had a home in our old neighborhood broken into while we were home and didn't see anything. We also had our car broken into while we were home as well as one of our neighbors cars. It completely breaks your security.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:20 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Yes, I trust our neighbors right next door & they trust us. They are having my son take care of their plants & the mail while they are away. I would feel comfortable doing the same w/ them.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My immediate neighbors, yes. However, we're not far away from trouble. We live in a rural community and the people on our road are great, but there is this side road that all kinds of weirdos live on. The cops are there regularly, items from burlaries are found there. I went walking there once when we were new here and you can seriously feel the atmosphere change once you head down there. :( We have taken extra security measures because of that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• When we were going on vacation my husband told the neighbor across the street, but his best friend was the one who came to check the house. I wouldn't ask any of our neighbors to check on our home when we were gone and I really wouldn't share a house key with any of them. In fact, the neighbors across the alley are one reason every curtain on the back side of our house stays closed 24/7. Their crazy kid (he's about 14) will stand in their back yard and stare into our house. Our bedroom is on the back of the house and I caught him several times before I just gave up on having the windows open. It's creepy.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:28 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I totally do. We have awesome neighbours, just like you! Both sides and across the street. We would definitely tell them if we were gone.

Now, I've lived many places where neighbours don't talk and would never discuss if they were leaving, just because who tells these things to strangers. Nothing to do with trust, more to do with you never see them or knock on their door, so you just wouldn't think of it.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Some of them. One we don't really know, one I don't after last year, one is my in-law's, and the other I really do (all their yards partially join with ours, I call them all immediate neighbors). We have none across the street. My IL's know if we're going away, that's enough for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I trust my close neighbours but not further down the street we have recently bought a security camera system just in case
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• There is only one person we trust in this apartment complex, and he doesn't live on the same level as us. Our next door neighbors seem ok, and we've helped them out a few times(like letting them plug in their fridge in our outlet when their power was cut off), so I don't think they would do anything like break in or anything. The people on the other side of us are a different story, though. They have older kids, and they do not have any idea where those kids are or what they are doing. We even had one of them steal things out of our car, and we know it was them because our friend saw them, and they admitted to it.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:10 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• nope they are dopies and theives, and they know I don't trust them.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 12:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Some of them. We don't have many neighbors, just the 3 houses to the side of us & one house behind us. The house behind us is owned by my Dad & I trust him, of course. The house directly next to us is owned by old family friends, so we trust them too. The two houses on the other side of our next door neighbors are rentals and the people are always changing, so we don't trust them because we don't really get a chance to know any of them. Across the street is a cemetary & I trust that none of those folks are going to do anything...lol
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2011