How can you get a ring off?

My wedding ring is stuck. Guess I've gained some weight but didn't think it was that much :( In the past when a ring has been tight, I could usually use baby oil or something slippery-ish like that and eventually work it off. This time, it won't budge!
Has anyone ever had to have a ring acutally cut off? Where do I go for that? Or any other ideas to try at home? If it does need to be cut, does that totally ruin the ring? Or is it a clean break that can be soldered back together?

CookieMom108

Asked by CookieMom108 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I agree with the first mom, you need to get your fingers cold, it actually shrinks them temporarily. Yes, I have had two rings cut off. They were fixed, but they both broke along the original cut, it weakens them. You can also try soap, get your hands lathery. Good luck.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Soap & water , put ice on it.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Stop messing with it for the day, put your hand up above your head and put ice on the ring part,, then try the baby oil..
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:32 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• google remove ring with string GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would ice and you could use butter or oil whatever slippery after you elevate it.. or early in the morning just after you wake up. Cutting it off is not a good option because it will have a weak point.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• A jeweler can cut it off and re-size it for you.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I meant to say that, I did try making my hands cold. I'll stop messing with it for now, lol, and try again tonight.
    CookieMom108

Comment by CookieMom108 (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Soak your hand in ice water for as long as you can stand it, then apply a bunch of liquid soap with a little water. You should be able to slide it off with a little work.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• The ER will do it. I'd try running my hands in cold water to make my fingers shrink then try baby oil.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 9:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Wrap a piece of thread closely around your finger, below where it's stuck. It'll work as a finger girdle, and allow you to slip the ring off your finger.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2011