My DD 14 is cutting herself & I do not know what to do or say to her. Help

hofferek

Asked by hofferek at 9:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Call the pediatrician and get a referral to a psychologist ASAP!
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:38 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• U need to take her to a doctor! U need to sit down with her and try to find out what is going on with school,her friends,possible boyfriend.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:38 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• so sorry. i would talk to her ped for a refferal for a good psychitrist. its a psychological issue and she needs help. good luck mama.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:39 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It is a release, and it is addictive, I would talk to her about going to see a counseler. Many girls do this when they feel they can't control what is going on inside, and outside of their bodies.. huggs momma, my good friends daughter suffered from this for a long time, but with proper help, she did manage to overcome it.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Get her help now. There are clinics that specialize in self mutilation. I was a cutter for MANY years and still fight the desire to do it on occasion.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Don't be afraid to call the police, yes, surprisingly they can help or tell you how to get help in your community.

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 9:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• You need to get her to a counselor. People used to do this as a way to release their pain (it causes more pain and I don't understand) usually due to being raped or molested. Nowadays kids are doing this as something to do. They get together in groups, as a hobby in a club. Whichever it may be, she needs to see a counselor and you need to contact her friends parents and see if they are doing the same. If so, she needs to be cut off from those friends. Good luck to you and your daughter, I will keep you both in my prayers.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My 14 year old did too. You are legally obligated to send her to therapy-plus, as her mom, u should want to. It sucks and its scarey. We had to take everything sharp out of the house. She went to therapy and doesn't cut now but has a ton of scars.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• First ask her WHY....then get an appointment with a psychiatrist. Is she unhappy at home or at school? Is this something another girl is doing and she is copying her? That happens too often.
    WHen I was a kid,I was unhappy,depressed and isolated but I didn't enjoy pain and I would NOT have hurt myself.I just stayed in my room,and was very quiet at school. Kids all havve different ways to deal with depression.
    YOU need to find out why she is depressed or anxious.She must not like herself very much if she is hurting herself.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Give her the biggest hug you have ever given her... if she has a computer maybe she can put her pain in words for you.getting her help is #1, but you have to let her know that (you & she) are in this together. tell her how beautiful she is and that no matter what... her happiness in the most important thing to you right now. I am going to pray for her and you be strong don't be annoyed thru it all. she needs you right now... Do you two do things together? she needs a lot of attention right now as most children going through adolescents. PRAY with her... ask her to lead the prayer...

getting the right professional person in her life will make all the difference. some agencies have programs that are tailored to certain situations. some are just facilities with certain structured programs.

much love to you....

miamoma
    miamoma

Answer by miamoma at 10:16 AM on Jun. 16, 2011