Favorite Groups

What are some of your favorite religious groups here on CM?

Do you prefer discussion/debate groups, or do you prefer to be in a group with like-minded people, like a group for a specific religion or way of thought?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in About CafeMom

• The only religious groups I really visit at all are all of the "like minded" variety. Mostly the ones I admin and the Pagan & Proud one...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Both.

nichamli

Answer by nichamli at 9:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I personally prefer groups made for discussion/debate, with different perspectives. But I enjoy learning and sharing, and I don't fit in in many Christian groups, lol, so it's hard to find a "like minded" group for the way I think.

Two of my favorite groups are Religious Roundtable and Unorganized Religion. :)
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• For the most part, I participate in an outside forum, which lacks most of the drama of putting a bunch of women in one spot...and has the added benefit of being better organized and not restricted to moms (and has a better diversity of POV's)
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Oooh, do you mind sharing the name of the forum? I keep looking for a place outside of CM to discuss religion, too, but I'm having a hard time really finding anything! :)
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I'd be interested in that too thalassa

nichamli

Answer by nichamli at 9:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• One Love Many Paths and Unorganized Religion and Practical Magick are probably my favs.

I dont debate therefore Im not fond of groups where I have to go in thinking will I have to look up facts and all that jazz in order to have an opinion and say anything. So I dont join them anymore(I did when I first got onto CM until I realized I wasnt happy having to defend my personal thoughts and ideas and beliefs every time I wanted to say anything).

I prefer like minded folks who are calm and can discuss without arguing and just respect one another even if disagreeing. Dont have to be the same path as me either.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i don't participate regularly at all in any CM groups, but the religious ones i do wander into are xtian, not for debate (i get enough of that here), just for fellowship/prayers/encouragement. let's face it: anytime something of that nature is expressed in this section, no matter the path, it gets dogged by 'outsiders' or trolls.
    so i guess my answer would be 'like-minded' peeps.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Well, the one I'm on the most (since I'm one of the admin/co-owners) is Pagan Forum, but I lurk (and very occasionally participate--last time I posted was at least a year ago) at Interfaith Forums and I occasionally lurk at Religious Forums (the names are all so simple, lol)...so I have a bit of my path-specific and general stuff.  Its pretty easy to find more specific communities...right now I'm looking for a UU forum.

...also I've been alot more into the blogosphere lately

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 11:23 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I've been pretty bad at keeping up with groups in general, but I like being in a few of them. I think I like the ones for like-minded people a little more, but even with people who have similar perspectives, everyone is not going to be the exactly the same so there's room for interesting discussion--maybe with less drama than some areas...hopefully. I do try to check my groups, but sometimes if I only have a few minutes to be on CM at a time I just come to Answers. I'm more likely to check any of my groups--whichever type-- if I have more time to be on here.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2011