What Happened "old values"?

I do see a big difference in kids...
When did it become taboo for young men to open doors for young ladies and for young adults to give their seat to pregnant ladies and seniors?

Why did please and thank you's die out with Barnie?

When did Teachers trade suits and ties for belly shirts and flip flops?

I still teach my children Please & Thank You. My boy's are taught to open doors and give up seats. And I teach my daughter that she is worth having the door opened for.

What are some "old values" that everyone should be following

sipn_mom

Asked by sipn_mom at 10:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It's not just one or two things...it's the breakdown of society. ERA,Morals, Manners,and 100's of other things. Too many kids without REAL parenting for one thing...women work more, men work more, who's really teaching /raising the generations these days. Daycares? Schools?Vid games? Good luck with that..it's crumbling. Like other countries say all over the world about America...you don't have to attack it...it's caving in on itself in more areas than just one. In ALL areas. That's what we get for not sticking to our original values that was working. Less crime, less teen pregnancy, hardly any abortions blah, blah blah...and so on. It's our own fault.
    So don't gripe when kids don't have manners and values....this is what people cried for. They will fight so hard for saving animals, saving trees, clean air, cleaner autos, less paper & plastic and at the same time KILL BABIES they don't want. That is screwed up. JMO
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 12:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Respect for yourself and others I think are the things that were lost the most from my time until now, and I see a lot of young mothers that teach their children that you do not need to respect yourself and others. I see this mainly in thinking it's ok for these kids to have sex with everyone that passes their way. "They're going to do it anyway" If you can't respect yourself, you cannot respect anyone else. Thank you for teaching your sons to open doors. There are still ladies (and my girls) out there who will appreciate that gesture. Most women hate it because they feel they need "equal rights" and don't need doors opened for them.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Ummm....I am STRONG enough to open my own doors but if a man holds a door open for me,it shows MANNERS and that he could possibly be a ....gentleman! WOw....has anyone heard that word before or am I just an old dinosaur? Gentleman.
    I hold doors open for everyone too.
    ALL values and morals are being put down nowdays.People say "anything goes" .
    Such as...whatever happened to getting married and then having kids so that there is a strong family unit??
    I bet that will get me some names.....hehe.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I don't understand this concept of assuming someone doing something nice for you is actually trying to insult you.

Can't a person just be nice for the sake of being nice?

We can't assume someone actually thinks we're weak unless they actually say so- which I've never seen, and if that actually happened, you can still take their opening door, and smile and say "well, I fooled you."
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 1:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My kids say Please and Thank you.. & I hope someday they will find a guy who is kind enough to hold doors for them.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Hmm. Things are mostly still the "old way" here. Teachers don't wear suits, but they still look professional and respectable. I always get the door held for me when I'm out with friends or whatever. it was the middle-aged people that refused to give up seats when I was pregnant.

The only issue I have with what you say is "for young men to open doors for young ladies". We asked for equality and we shouldn't expect special consideration. We can't have both. Both genders should hold the door for whomever comes along.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 10:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• The holding doors thing - shouldn't people just hold the door for people?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I agree with kit_manson. It's hard to demand equality and different treatment in the same breath. I would really prefer equality to having a door held open for me. On the other hand, I was raised (and I teach my kids) that we hold open doors for others regardless of age or gender. I don't think teachers need suits. I don't wear a suit to work - in fact, I don't know very many people that do. Certainly teachers ought to dress like they're with kids and not clubbing...but still, a kindergarten teacher getting on the ground in casual clothes is much more logical than my K teacher who tried to do it in her straight skirt and stockings because 'values' dictated such. ;)

I don't agree that the majority is so rude and without "old values." I also don't think everyone of 'yesteryear' was so polite and proper. I think we have a rose-colored memory of something that never fully existed.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Respecting adults is a huge one. Now, kids are taught to speak their mind,even if you ar being rude and disrepectful. If I would have said half of the crap that I hear around me today, my mother would have ended me.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• have been called names just because I feel there should be standards values and morals...

You have been called names because you call people names like bitch and are mean to others actually. If you had moral and values and treated others in a kind way people on here would like you
    Answer by Anonymous 51 minutes ago
    .
    -----------------------------

I have NEVER called ANYONE a *itch. And you know that. Stop lying about me. I have no idea why you are doing this? This is just a mystery. All of a sudden, you show up, out of the blue,and lie about me. I suggest you stop this right now.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2011