My 6 month old fights sleep, what can I do to make it easier to get him to bed?

IsaacsMommy1271

Asked by IsaacsMommy1271 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if u breastfeeding try to not drink coffee .... Camomila is better ;)
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 10:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Thank you but I bottle feed, I had some issues producing milk so I had to take the bottle route instead.
    IsaacsMommy1271

Comment by IsaacsMommy1271 (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• You probably wait a little bit too long to lay him down. Try not to overstimulate him when nap or bedtime is about 30mins away. What I've done since my son was a baby was start turning down lights. Even now at 2 1/2 when he sees me start turning off lights he starts to calm down. He's at the point where he'll actually start going around the house to say goodnight to things, go potty, and grab his toothbrush haha. Besides the lights, if you make sure he's not too stimulated around the time you want him to sleep, it'll be easier for you to notice his *tired* signs. Signs like rubbing eyes, little bags under eyes, yawning. These signs all come BEFORE your baby is overtired and much harder to lay down. Most of the time when a baby or child is fighting sleep and aren't sick or anything, it's because they're not getting enough sleep.
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• When you know he is sleepy, put him in his bed. At this age, he needs to learn to put himself to sleep. Establish some kind of routine prior to putting him down, but if you are consistent, he will go to sleep on his own.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• soft music, but no it's a faze and sometimes they will crash and sometimes they won't
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• okay In my case.... when my baby does not nap much in the day and she goes to bed by 8pm she is will sleep sound all night.
    When I try to keep her up, or when she plays past 8pm she has a hard time falling and staying asleep.
    So much naps during the day and bed on time is very important.
    johnsonbaby03

Answer by johnsonbaby03 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Our daughter is 6mos tomorrow, and she does the same thing. The boys did too at that age. It's normal. They don't want to miss anything. If you rock him, try covering his head - I use a receiving blanket, nothing heavy. Or if you nurse make sure he is covered and try singing to him while he nurses, this will calm him prior to sleep and help him get there...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Thanks for all the good advice. I will try some of the tips. I really appreciate it. I know that all babies are different and some are very different when it comes to routines but I will try all of them and see which one works the best. Again thanks for the advice.
    IsaacsMommy1271

Comment by IsaacsMommy1271 (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2011