Help what do you do for tantrums?

My son is 2 and is currently throwing tantrums for the little things at least every hour. We are currently giving him a warning, counting to ten, and then if he hasn't stopping giving him time out in his room till he stops for 15 seconds....it used to work great but now not so much. He is also a screamer. Just wanted some new ideas for what to do before I lose my mind....

Brooke505

Asked by Brooke505 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would spank. No counting, no warnings, no threats. Tell him once. Expect immediate obedience, and discipline when he doesn't. These are the formative years for establishing your authority in the home. He needs to learn early and often that what Mom says is the law of the land, and that obedience to the law is key to his comfort on his posterior portion.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Our oldest went through that. Thankfully we knew enough not to punish him for it. Tantrums are a GOOD THING. They are the child learning their emotions. Now they simply have to learn to control them - which even many adults have issues with. With our son we simply took him in to his room and put him on the bed. We told him that we understood he was angry and that he needed to vent that anger, but that we would not allow him to hurt himself, others or anything in the house so he needed to do it in his room. Then we would leave him for a few moments and let him calm down. Once he was calm we would go in and talk to him. Help him to understand what he should do, rather than throwing a tantrum, and why he was acting that way... And we did that every time! It lasted about 3 or 4 months that this was routine, but now, when he gets upset he is able to go in his room and "chill out" rather than result to fits.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Punishing a child for expressing their emotions, or more pointedly for not knowing how to properly express them, leads to a child, and adult, who internalizes emotion. When we internalize it leads to anxiety, depression and even substance abuse.

Our son is able to express himself and talk about his emotions without "fits" now, because we took the time to teach him how to identify his emotions and the proper way to express them. So rather than screaming, crying and throwing things he can talk about what's going on and work through it... Which in my book is a much better thing than simply teaching him to "deal" or face a punishment!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Ignore him. When he throws a fit he wants attention and you give it to him so he thinks thats how he can what he wants. If you ignore him he'll eventually learn that throwing fits wont get him what he wants. With my daughter when she throws fits, which is about everything I just tell her I cant hear her and when she is done she can talk to me and I ignore her until she is done and ready to talk.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would spank his hand the make him lay down until he quiet down and explain to him NO dont do that anymore and hopefully he wont because my 15 month old trys to pull the same thing and thats what I do and no I dont even have to spank her hand all I have to do is say no or raise my hand and she stops....good luck hunn
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2011