How many of you out there actually "KNOW" and have met your neighbors??

Just curious. Feels like nowadays getting to know your neighbors to most ppl no longer seems all that important. Everyone gets busy and has enough drama in their own lives I guess, and I think that it's just a sign of the times..It's hard to trust others, and invite strangers in..

Do you find this to be true? What are your thoughts..and were things like that when you were still a kid, or do you feel that ppl are more disconnected now?

Heathercurlz

Asked by Heathercurlz at 10:39 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Just for Fun

• i do not know their real lives, you never know what goes on behide closed doors
    but i do "know " all people who live on this block
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• One set of next door neighbors - retired couple, they have 3 children - no grandchildren. They are sweet darling people and we love them to death.

Other set of next door neighbors - lovely couple in their 30s with one son. He's a contractor, she's works in her mother's bakery and their son is about 7.

We've lived here for almost 12 years on the end of the cul-de-sac in a quiet neighborhood. We know most of our neighbors on our end of the cul-de-sac.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• We meet with our kids at the bus stop every morning. Often, we stay and talk after the bus leaves. One just buried his wife on Saturday. She was 48 and had cancer. Many neighbors were at the funeral. It takes a village to raise a child and you do need to know the other villagers.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• WE are good friends with several neighbors, it helps our kids are all frinds too. We have gone on multiple vacations with them. We are very lucky for sure. Its alot of fun to have impromptu bbq's in the summer.

Its so nice that our kids can play outside and run around between our houses, I mean we keep an eye on them but its nice to know were all watching out and they can have a summer almost like when we were kids.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 10:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I know all of my neighbors pretty well. We don't necessarily socialize, but if I needed anything from any of them, I would be comfortable asking, and I think they all feel the same way.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My neighbors are freaking nuts!!!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• We know most all of our neighbors. We take walks and speak to the ones outside. We all help each other out when needed. I am baking brownies for one today that is having a tough drs appt today.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I have met a few---I live in a Townhome community . Last night we had our annual Association meeting and I met a few more. I avoid my next door neighbor though becaue he is loony....everyone asks me how I can stand being nextdoor to him. LOL. I just smile and wave whenever I see him and his poor wife and avoid them as much as possible.
    There are other really nice people though. I walk my dog three times a day and talk to others walking their dogs too. :-) But I am not close friends with any of my neighbors. I never have been , anywhere I have lived..
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• The lady that lives to the right of me has lived their my entire life. I was in school with her grandkids. But I can't say I KNOW her, I just know her name and we chat once in a while. Beyond that, I couldn't even tell you their names. It's not that it's hard to trust people or anything, it's simply that I have no need for them in my life and frankly what I have seen of them I don't like.

That said, this is exactly how things were when I was a kid. We never knew our neighbors. We're just keep a to yourself kinda town... Everyone I know is that way... If you ask my grandmother this question, she'd tell you the same thing... So I don't think it's getting worse, I think it's how it's always been...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:46 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I ask this because I share a wall with my neighbors in the duplex we live in..And we've hardly ever spoken. I really don't think they've ever gone out of their way to acknowledge us, and for a long time this couple were together, but I noticed recently that the wife hardly ever came around anymore..and this other car started showing up. Guess the guy has a new girl now...I had no idea that the original relationship had any troubles at all. The neighbors next door we didn't share a wall with disappeared for weeks, where they'd only show up here and there, and I was worried about them. Come to find out that they no longer were able to make the payments, and the bank took over. I only found that out when some guy that came to mow their lawn told me why no one was their any longer. Sigh..I really hate not knowing my neighbors..when I was a kid we had neighborhood watch programs..and I don't see that as a priority now to ppl..
    Heathercurlz

Comment by Heathercurlz (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2011