C section question

I have been told that its not safe to have more than 2 c-sections in most cases, has anyone heard this? What are your thoughts or experiences? I know ultimately i would discuss it w/a dr but Im just curious of what people have heard or experienced.

mitchellb

Asked by mitchellb at 10:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Health

• I've had two so far and if I have another baby it will be by c-section. It does worry me some just because going into surgery multiple times increases all kinds of risks....but I'm in a c-section mama's group here and there are quite a few women with multiple c-sections.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 10:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Technically speaking, not one c-section is "safe" in the sense that it is a serious abdominal surgery. There is truth to what you have heard through. Each subsequent c-section causes more potential risks and increases the chances of complications. The reason being scar tissue and possible adhesion, which is where other parts of your internal organs can fuse to the healing scar tissue on the uterus. Most commonly its the bladder and/or intestines. The risk of a uterine rupture after one c-section is relatively small, and honestly not even that much higher than it would be if you haven't had a c/s, however, it does go up with every c-section. Not many doctors will go into great detail about the actual risks of a c-section, but it is advised to save the operation for true emergency cases, and they should never be performed "just because" or for convenience.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 10:56 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• a friend has three kids
    her first was c section
    i do not know how she had 2nd and 3rd

all depends on your individual medical issues
    good question, just more a question for your own personal medical people

good luck
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It does increase the risk of uterine rupture, it also increases scar tissue, which makes subsequent surgeries more complicated. Adhesion, like lilbeamercomin said, is also a big risk with each surgery. Vaginal births are generally safer, including VBACs. I also agree with her statement that c-sections should be reserved for NECESSARY situations, not for convenience or for scheduling purposes.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:02 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Some womens hips don't spread so they need c-sections!!! I know it creates a build up of scar tissue with each one done. It could make it harder to become pregnant because of the scar tissue. I never heard it was not safe. I would check with a doctor.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i had heard this and was very upset because i was like the women dancer talks about, whos hips dont spread, and i want more than two kids. i asked my doctor about this and he said that this is not always or even usually the case. in fact there was a woman who had had her 10th c-section in the hospital that same weekend.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 12:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I think it would all depend on your own personal medical or health history. I have had 3 c-sections and when I had #3 hubs and I decided we were done. (so I don't know if any more c-sections would have been 'allowed' or if there were more risks).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My cousin had three and was told no more. Scar tissue does not stretch so there is an increased risk of uterine rupture for each additional pregnancy. But how many I think depends on the individual.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2011