Is smoking allowed in Islam?

I am a resource assistant and I was asked to find out information and I would like opinion. When I was in South Africa, some men were smoking in masjid parking lot. So is the smoking cultural and that trumps religion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• During the time of the Prophet smoking was considered to be not a good thing cause the smoke bothered people and the smell got in their clothes, hair, so it was not forbidden but was just something that was said to be bothersome.

Centuries later When the medical findings found out that tobacco use was the cause of lung cancer and some other forms of cancer, scholars of Islam went and changed the ruling and made it forbidden based on the verse in the Quran: do not harm yourself knowingly.

In Islam just like any other religion when something is forbidden does not mean the followers will adhere.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• it's allowd but its not a good thing ;)
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 11:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I was first going to answer that Islam is a religion not a place, but I see that you have that down already LOL!! Haven't you ever seen a Baptist at a liquor store? Or a Jewish person eating a bacon double cheeseburger?

Here's what Wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_fatwa

dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2011