How can I help my husband quit smoking?

The first thing I need to say is that, after 11 years of knowing each other, he ASKED for my help! For the first time!!! He's been trying to quit, off and on, for 6 years. He's been a smoker since he was 16. In Feb. he'll be 32 and doesn't want to have smoked for "half his life." He is allergic to Chantix. Commit, the patch, the gum, and cold turkey have not worked long-term for him, although Commit worked the best for the longest. Any suggestions? What can he do and what can I do to help?

MrsT6102

Asked by MrsT6102 at 8:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Health

• Encouragement, not harrassment. If he slips back, don't nag....remember and addict is an addict is an addict. It's one day at a time. You're only recovered every day....not for the rest of your life, it's a daily effort. Help him find a support group of other smokers trying to quit. Hook him up with his doctor. Excercise is always helpful, because it takes the mind off harmful things and puts healthy things in it's place.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Chantex it works!
    CocoMason

Answer by CocoMason at 12:39 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• He's allergic to Chantix. I think I will have him talk to our doctor. I know he's mentioned wanting to do that before. Since I could stand to lose a few pounds, I was going to suggest exercising together. Maybe training for a half-marathon together or something.
    Any other suggestions?
    MrsT6102

Answer by MrsT6102 at 2:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2008