What time is it?

My daughter is 4 and for the past few months she keeps asking what time it is. I mean like every 10 minutes she'll ask and its driving us crazy. Its an all day thing from the second she wakes up until she goes to bed at night. I've tried teaching her numbers so she can read the digital clock and she still asks. Anyone else experience this and how did you handle it?

SMG1120

Asked by SMG1120 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ROFLOL My 4 year old does the exact same thing. She knows her numbers, but I don't think that translates into a real time for her. Guess I should break down and but a face clock for her.

I remember a book when I was little: "What Time is Grandma Coming?" that had a little face clock you could manipulate the hands on to represent the times of the day.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Any chance of getting a traditional analog clock? Seeing the hands move around the dial may give her more of a reference.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Hahaha....she must have an appointment that she doesn't want to miss!! lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Can you guess why she is doing this? Is it to get your attention, or does she really want to learn how to tell time?
    Many preschoolers want to get our attention. The best solution would be to tell her the time in a calm voice. If you can, take ten minutes and play a game with her then. If you can't, get a wind-up timer and set it for ten to fifteen minutes. Tell her that when it buzzes, you'll be able to sit down and do a puzzle with her. That will help her to understand the concept of time passing. Use this wind-up timer a lot. Set it at the beginning of lunch time, and tell her that when it dings, lunch will be over - especially if she dawdles. Set it at nap time, and when it rings, she can get up from nap. Oftentimes, listening to the even ticking will put a child to sleep!
    Rarely, a preschooler actually wants to learn to tell time. Teach her to read a clock and give her a watch.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2011