My new neighbors are driving me CRAZY!! How do I get rid of them?

I know what they are watching on TV right now. That's how loud it is. They've woken my child 2 x already and they've only been living there for like 8 days!! Anyone know what the law says? My landlord never does anythign about anyone's problems, but we love the location, price etc.

CM2TX08

Asked by CM2TX08 at 9:20 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Typically it's a time law. Like 10pm it has to be quiet. I forget what the morning hour is. Check your local laws, you don't need your landlords help on this. You could ask them nicely first, or leave a note in their mailbox about it. That's what I did. Of course by the time I did, I was already ripping mad. haha. So it was written in big red marker. haha. But hey....they got quiet.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:22 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Yeah.. but why does it matter what time it is? I can hear so that should be enough, right?
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 9:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• If you're a very quiet person, they may have no idea how thin the walls really are. You could play really loud music or something to give them an idea. If it's during normal day hours you should just tell them or write a note.....and it's more meaningful if you have a good reason (I'm studying, the baby is sleeping, etc). But if the cops came at 2pm and they were playing music or TV.....he'd not do anything...that would be within the law. If they were reconstructing the kitchen and you were listening to power tools during the day would you expect them to not work because you didn't want to listen to it?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:31 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i actully have horable neibors so i know where your coming from and we live out in the country so there was nothing we could do. call or go down to polic station and ask about the law i know out here they have to pretty much catch them red handed before they will do anything....
    kim168

Answer by kim168 at 9:32 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• This might not help, but it might make you feel better. I did this to a neighbor that was noisy and wouldn't stop. When they are quiet. Like late at night or early in the morning. Be really noisy back at them. I use to run my vacuum and slam doors and turn my TV up really loud..

Answer by louise2 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• That defeats the purpose louise2. :) I'm trying to not wake my son... And to EireLass - if there's construction to be done duh it has to be done. But jamming on freakin thumpity thump boom boom music is rediculous!!! It's a couple of thugs up there. ARGH. Dont get me wrong. I love me some rap and all, but I'm grown I pay my rent I dont bother anyone and I deserve the same respect that I give out.
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 10:10 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• What do you want us to say? You already said your landlord will not do anything about it. And our suggestions you do not like. Go talk to the police about it. Or move.  Take your pick.

Answer by louise2 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• You need to speak to your landlord. See if the building has any noise restrictions. Other than that you will need to contact city hall and find out if there are any local ordinances. If enough people complain the landlord will likely tell them to quiet down or leave.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Have you spoken to them? maybe they have no idea how little soundproofing there is? Tell them that they woke up the baby?
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 1:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I would say leave a letter kindly asking that they turn their t.v. down b/c it's waking your child up. If they don't stop..I know it's kinda mean but call the cops and ask what they can do about it, like if they could come down and tell them to keep it down. I would think that would fall somewhere under the "disturbing the peace" law.
    Casey_Lynn_08

Answer by Casey_Lynn_08 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2008