My 21 month olds mosquito bites are huge and swell around the eyes, what can i do to help prevent or cure?

pamoco

Asked by pamoco at 12:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• deet mosquito spray will help prevent the bites. I like to get the wipes with repellant on them. That makes it easier to get around the face and ears. I don't really think there is a cure.
    punkomama08

Answer by punkomama08 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My son is allergic to misquito's. I found out just like this.. he ended up swelling so bad when he scratched it, It became infected and needed antibiotics. I thought it was a fluke, next time he got bit, same thing happened but it was painful for him rather than really itched so I brought him it - it was rock hard and so swollen it looked shiney. Found out then he was allergic - not much they can do for it so you have to prevent it - give your child benadryl when your child gets one, put benadryl gel or anti itch cream caladryl on it then wrap it with a washcloth and put a bandage or athlete wrap on it so they dont' get at it -my sons usually take a week to fully get better when he gets a bite, make sure to carry all this in your purse for any trip you make
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Children's premeasured benedryll and give him half of it when it happens right then and there. It will knock him out, but it will also calm the swelling and itching.
    Sithpadawans

Answer by Sithpadawans at 12:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• maxsmom11807, thanks i do the benadryl. Also the good thing is that they don't seem to bother him. He never scrathes or pics, thank gosh! His too also take like a week to get better. I will for sure buy some caladryl though, thanks again!
    pamoco

Comment by pamoco (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Take him to the dr. My nephew is allergic to mosquitos and they had to get an epipen because the drs were concerned that his throat was swelling just like his eyes and could cut off his air supply should he get bit again.

Answer by missanc at 5:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Right take him to the Dr.
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i had those reactions when i was young. even now i get bit like horrible even with spray on they find the one spot i do not have spray...(botton of feet) and they get me. well i have my little one that got bit and same thing she gets bit but not bad as your son. but i was concerned because i do not want her to have those affects so i called the dr and they told me just bendryl. so i just wanted to let you know i looked up that children should not have more then 10%deet on them...this is one of the ingredient in off and those wipes have 25%. i was so excited that something could work for us. but i can;t put it on her. so just becareful whoever is using the wipes on their toddler for mosquito bites. nothing ever worked for me so i am hoping she does not have the same fate. good luck and i totally understand!
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• oh i wanted to add i looked up somethings on mosquito bites i live in the woods and i now thati have a small child i was concerned. anyways, they might be coming out with something on the market soon that might be even better then deet. oh and i read that its not necessary those that are more attracted by mosquitos but those that are less repellant. i hope that helps. they do say that it gets better over time. not that my life is any better but they have gotten smaller over time but they still love me. unfornately not the kind of love i want...lol
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Good answers about the benadryl, and to watch the level of deet your child is exposed to. Thought I'd add a few thoughts, even though I've answered too many questions today already.
    1) Mosquitos are attracted to nice scents. Try changing your child's shampoo or soap, so she doesn't smell so yummy! I use only baking soda to wash my hair - no scent at all.
    2) wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants, in light colors. Americans feel that they have to expose their skin to beat the heat, but those in really hot countries do the opposite. Dark colors attract mosquitoes. Light, course fabrics make it harder for them to bite you.
    3) Use a fan. Mosquitoes don't bite on windy days. They avoid the breezes.
    4) Eliminate mosquito breeding grounds around your home. They like stagnant water. Don't think just ponds - even a piece of litter will breed the bugs if it has stale water in it.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 11:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011