Breast-feeding mothers

My sister is breast feeding her 8 week old son. Her doctor told her that when he turn 6 months that she cant let him cry it out. That she still has to get up and feed him. He eat like every hour on the hour, sometimes even more then that! She is getting worried and thinking about stopping because she has been losing ALOT of sleep. I know doctors dont know everything. If you have gone through this or know somebody who has, please let me know! thanks

porterjoshua06

Asked by porterjoshua06 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh tell your sister don't worry about it. My son eats every hour or every two hours. I feed him at night every 2 hours for the first 3 months. Now, he wakes up to eat every 3 hours or I will wake him up when to feed him. Baby needs nutritions to develop so I am tired all the time but Id rather sacrifice my sleep to nurse my son. He is my first one and he is developing so well.
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 9:41 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Sooo - your sister is more interested in -
    1.Sleep and 2. Letting her child scream alone in the middle of the night -than she is -
    3. Her childs need to be fed and 4. Need to be mothered, not abandoned at night?

Yes.
    She still needs to feed and pick up her upset baby at 6 months.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:34 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I agree! I nursed my son every 2 hours for 10 months. It takes a toll on ya but that's what Mothering is all about! Good Luck to your Sis!
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• By 6 months the baby probably wont be waking up much. my 6 month old cries maybe 1 a night to eat.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 9:49 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Well, it's her child, so she COULD let him CIO. But personally, I would not do that! If she is having trouble sleeping, have her try co-sleeping. It's much easier that way! Just whip out the boob and position them next to you. Trying a bassinet next to the bed could be better as well if she doesn't like the idea of baby spending all night in bed with her. Personally I would not just let the baby cry. This stage doesn't last forever and having a happy healthy baby is worth all the tough sacrifices in the end. :)
    aeon_elyse

Answer by aeon_elyse at 9:51 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I co sleep with DS and it's so much easier that way...just whip out the boob, he'll latch on, and before I know it, I'm waking up in the morning!!!
    moore_me03

Answer by moore_me03 at 10:02 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Yes, try co-sleeping so the kid ends up a pillow. Good option. I did that with my daughter but not for very long. I would never do it again, who know how tired you could be and then just roll over on them and honestly not notice. Not everyone has that "Mom sense". I do but there's always a what if...so my son is in his own bed. Yes, she needs to feed him if the kid wants to be fed. They do say that after 3 months a baby can go through the night without a feeding. I just always interpreted that as if the kid doesn't wake up to eat that's fine but if they do then you should feed him!!!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I would never let any of my kids CIO. My first was formula fed the second breastfed and this one as well. They woke up at least once a night for the first year!

Let you SIL know that the stage of eating so often will pass. As baby gets older and more efficient at eating it gets faster and longer between each feeding. In the early months there are a lot of growth spurts. So baby might change feeding habits quite often.
    01buckler15

Answer by 01buckler15 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I co-sleep (barely starting to get him in his own crib the last few weeks) and mine is 8 months. He slept through most nights by the time he was 2-3 months, but if he cries out, i still go get him and rock him back to sleep! My boy ate ALOT, but still it was every 2 1/2 to 4 hours! I heard if you feed them less than two hours apart, their colick is worse (especially at night) so that might be the problem? I'd suggest giving him a good plentiful feeding, atleast 15 or 20 minutes, and then if in an hour they act up, try comforting, rocking or whatever until you get through that, and then feeding again after 2 hours. My baby slept for 5 hours through the night afte 2 weeks, and he was growing fast so got plenty to eat! Maybe this baby is on a feeding schedule where he's used to eating every hour and then won't go much longer without feeding! 3 hours is normal for babies, but then again each baby is different!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 11:50 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• my daughter is 7 months and she wakes up twice to three times a night maybe try a bottle before he goes to bed with formula they say it fills them up for a lot longer. i was also told you can try a baby spoon a rice cereal once or twice a day. i had too my daughter was eatting none stop. but it's really your choice.
    Davina07

Answer by Davina07 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2008