How many would choose this option?

If you work for the car industry or know someone that does-
if you had to choose between losing your job or taking a pay/benefit decrease which option would you take?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd take the pay cut and pray that the government doesn't get it's hands on the company!
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 10:49 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I would take the cut, knowing how few jobs are available.
    My son is a senior social web designer.....with this economy, their company had to look closely at their numbers and made decisions. All the "big boys" (CEO's, etc), took pay cuts, so nobody would lose their jobs. How noble.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• pay decrease 4 sure
    kim168

Answer by kim168 at 9:34 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Thats a no-brainer i would take the pay decrease seeing how many people are losing their jobs everday.
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I know my SO and I were talking about this last night. My bro is a mechanic. My SO was like, "He'll suffer if they dont get help.." Why would a 2009 anything need fixing? Maybe body work from a wreck, but older cars need fixing, ya know? I just honestly dont feel that bad about people losing their jobs.. I dont live where that's happening, and I dont know what to think. But then my SO was like, "It's Christmas.. blah blah.." I just think that people should go to college to be something other than a person who builds cars b/c you never know when there's gonna be a time like this. Plus, I am a super saver! We have a few thou in the bank and neither one of us is at risk of losing our jobs. I've spent a little at a time throughout the year for Christmas. I think people need to stop looking for handouts.
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 9:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Oh to answer the ? - I would take a decrease in pay.
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 9:41 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• A decrease in pay. I think that since my livlihood and all would be affected yes, the decrease would be the answer. But, I also think the top execs need to come down off the golden throne and take major cuts and decreases. The working man should be the last on the chain in this instance of the big 3. Not the other way around.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• This is a perfect example of how the union isn't working for the member, it's the other way around. The members are just tools for the union to get more money from the employer. And in this case, the government. Sure, nobody wants to take a pay cut, but if it comes down to a pay cut or job loss, I am pretty sure I know what the answer would be. It's a shame that nobody is calling out the unions for being the greedy blood suckers they are. Where is the outrage?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:52 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My dad (middle mgt) is losing his job with GM, and has asked to take a pay cut but this is what he was told:
    The union has our hands tied. We can't lay off any more of them because of their contract, and even if we laid them off, we would still have to compensate them. THey cost more. So we have to let mgt go. Sorry.

That speaks volumes to me
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Honda and Toyota are companies run by engineers

GM, Ford, and Chrysler are run by pencil pushers and the UAW...

How are the big three going to produce quality if they let all the middle mgt engineers go?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2008