Breastfeeding or Formula Feeding -- which are you doing?

My daughter is 8 weeks old and I have breastfed her since her birth. At about week 2 my breasts began to get sore inside and out when she would nurse and they have progressively gotten more painful - to the point that it brings tears to my eyes. The docs have tried everything to help with the pain but nothing seems to be working.

She is also extremely gassy and seems to be miserable after each feeding. Sometimes in the middle of her feeding she will let loose and just screech like she is in pain.

So today we started her on formula - Enfamil Gentle Ease.

Has anyone else had problems with breastfeeding? Or did you just primarily formula feed?

BlandBaby

Asked by BlandBaby at 1:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have 3 daughters.. all three were formula fed & one still is (shes 6 months)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I tried to breastfeed my children, and it didn't work out for me. I did have the pain, but I bought a nipple shield and it took away the pain. My milk dried up, and nothing I tried increased my supply. I was able to make it to 6 weeks with my baby girl before I had to stop. I put my baby girl on Similac Sensitive and she has been doing great on it :-)
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• my frist i b/f for 6 months my 2nd 6 weeks had to work 10 hr days and couldnt pump so anyway my 3rd 10 months and my 8 week old til she wants to wean
    pepsi4mama

Answer by pepsi4mama at 1:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I breastfed my 2 little ones and plan I breast feeding my little girl when she is born. What you are describing as far as baby sounds like acid reflux or it could be something you are eating that is upsetting her little tummy. I would talk to her pedi about it. As far as how sore you are are you making sure she is latched completely and has the whole nipple in her mouth? I know if I didn't get the whole nipple in my girls mouth it hurt something terrible.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It sounds a lot when I did it. In my case my oversupply syndrome and overactive letdown triggered a lot of nerve pain combine that with DS's severe allergies and you have about 75% of the reason I stopped breastfeeding.
    Matt went first to soy formula and then to Alumentum.
    I formula feed and I'm not sure if I'll ever try bfing again but I don't think so it just caused too many issues for me and him.

So does the Gentle Ease work ok for her or is she still gassy?
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 1:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• she is actually on acid refux medication and they put me on a special diet of no soy or dairy and nothing seemed to help ease her. I have had several consults with Lactation specialists who watched as I fed her and they all said she was latched on perfectly....they are not sure what is causing the pain issue on my end..... :(
    BlandBaby

Comment by BlandBaby (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I did both equally.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• @lizziebreath -- I will let you know in a few days if it helps with her gassiness...she just had her first bottle of it and she seemed to like it....Hopefully she takes to the formula okay and doesnt have breastmilk withdrawals :)
    BlandBaby

Comment by BlandBaby (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• #1 bf for 15 months
    #2/3 (twins) they never got the hang of latching on, pumped for about 6 weeks and then formula fed the rest of the time.
    #4 bf for 10 months and going strong.

With breastfeeding for the first 3-4 months I always have horrific pain and sores on my nipples. It's a really big struggle. But I know there's an end in sight so I push through.

Make sure they're latched on right. That can cause HORRIBLE pain even down the road. Rule out any infections or mastitis(sp?), clogged ducts etc. Positioning can have a lot to do with it at well. On my left side, if the baby is a certain way I can feel a muscle tug all the way in my armpit! lol
    As for the gas and such, make sure it's not something your eating! :) GL with whatever route you take! xo
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 1:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I'm not too sure why I got down voted...hmm. Well, since you have gone through all that and nothing seemed to help, formula probably is the best choice :) hopefully you notice a difference in her real soon. Good luck mama :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2011