Went outside to check on my kids while they were playing and got stung on my toe by a yellow jacket

my kids were outside playing and i am constantly checking on them to make sure they are safe and behaving. we live in the country and are off the road a ways and they are usually on the playset or climbing a tree or riding a bike. but i went outside and did not see them so i started yelling for them. stepped down felt a stinging pain ( yeah i know wear shoes) but i as a kid always went outdoors without them. so i figured no big deal. stepped down feel really bad stnging pain lift up foot and see the yellow jacket flying away. made a paste like mom always did when i was a kid and got stung of baking soda and water. the stinger must still be in there as my toe is swollen and the top of my foot is red and hurts to the touch this happened around noon. i have to go to hospital for a test before surgery. i really do not want to go to the er over this anyone have any suggestions to get the stinger out.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Health

• i don't think yellow jackets lose their stingers often because they are not barbed like a bee, but here's what you can do if it is:Gently remove the stinger by scraping the skin in the opposite direction of its entry with a long fingernail, a pocket knife blade, car key, coin or other thin, flat tool.

Wash the area around the sting with soap and water and apply ice or a cold towel to reduce swelling.

Reduce the itch with an over-the-counter sting swab, a thick paste of baking soda, Epsom salts, ammonia or meat tenderizer, which contains enzymes that help neutralize wasp venom. If nothing else is handy, apply a bit of mud. An oral antihistamine such as Benadryl can also reduce itching. Take an aspirin or acetaminophen product to ease the pain.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 2:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Do you have a neighbor or another adult you can call? I'd get them to try tweezers or a needle first.

And ouch!! I've been stung once on the bottom arch of my foot before. It swelled up so much it felt like I was talking on a rubber ball.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Tweezers.

Answer by louise2 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Do you see the stinger??......honey bees have barbed stingers but I'm not sure about yellow jackets. My sting lasted 4 hours and hurt like hell....it swelled, I took benedryl and used ice for swelling...
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Can you see the stinger? If so, you can use a credit card or similar item to scrape across the stinger to pull it out. You don't want to use tweezers or the like because you could squeeze more poisoin into your foot. Have you iced your foot at all or taken anything to help with the inflammation & swelling?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• and btw kids were by tree playing with the cat
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• thats the problem i cannot see the stinger like it broke off
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i was stung repeatedly by a swarm of yellow jackets that got caught inside my shirt when i was younger and i didn't need to go to the ER, i just got embarrassed because i had to take of my shirt in front of my little brother's birthday party guests :(
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 2:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• The stinger should be sticking out, you should see a black stinger protruding from the site of the sting and you can pull it out with tweezers. If you do not see a stinger, there is no stinger left in you. A bee can't bury the stinger beneath the skin. In my experience, yellow jacket stings always swell more and hurt worse than other types of bees.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 2:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2011