Are there any benefits to pre-mixing baby formula in a pitcher or do people just do it for convenience?

May be a dumb question but I am just curious, i've always just made one bottle at a time

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've never heard of anyone doing that.. I always made one bottle at a time and never even brought them along premade because i didn't want anything to go bad..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I think its convenience. I'm BFing this time around but with my first, I always made a bottle as needed.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Hmmm I have never seen anyone do that.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I don't think formula is meant to be pre-mixed for later use. It has a short shelf life after it's had water added to it.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It's for convenience. The shelf life of formula in the fridge is about 24 hours or so, and many mothers find it easier to mix formula for the day and just grab a bottle when Baby gets hungry. They find it faster than making a bottle when the baby is screaming his discontent. :P
    GlowWorm889

Answer by GlowWorm889 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My 3 babies were formula fed, and most mornings I would pre-mix the # of bottles I would need for the day and pop them in the fridge. My hubs did not like having to find the bottles/nipples assemble the bottles (we used the playtex bag liner/drop ins) and then measure and mix the formula. It could be quite time consuming (for him anyway)- especially if baby is screaming for a bottle and has to wait.. So it was easier for me to pre-mix and him to grab and heat as needed.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• no, people just do it to safe time. so if you want to safe time, its a good idea, i use to do it. no harm.
    grandma-lety

Answer by grandma-lety at 5:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• when i switched to formula i made the numbder of bottles my daughter would have during the night in each bottle just for convience sake. but it was a nightly thing i wouldnt mix a big pitcher or anything
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 2:05 AM on Jun. 17, 2011