Does the father of your children live in another state?

Assuming that the father-child relationship is working, how do you handle visitation and custody?
It's become a consideration to move 800 miles away, but I want to make sure the kids still spend as much time as possible with their father.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wish the father of my children lived in another state. Not sure how visitation would work though.
    My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 2:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Hmmm I'm turning this around, why can't they stay with their father if they're happy where they are? Anyhow my DH lived in another state from his son for a long time. Son in Hawaii and us in Virginia. He had him all summer, spring break, every other Christmas
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My oldest sons father lives in another state.The first year was really hard on my son but over time, he grew more accostomed. The visitation is every other holiday his dad gets him...IF he can afford for the transportation there and back.(that was the stipulation I had the lawyers put in because it was his choice to move out of state,not mine). So,like last christmas break, his dad actually came up here to stay with relatives for 2 weeks and my son went and stayed there with him. He goes with his dad for most of the summer..this year is actually going to eb the ENTIRE summer. It works out pretty well..we get along...our son has a good time. He talks to his dad at least every few days on the phone and through the internet.In can work out well as long as everyone is willing to compromise.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My ex husband lives in another state and never sees our son. He has visitation, but chooses not to make the 12 hour drive.

He has 1st, 3rd, and 5th weekends. Father's Day. 42 days in the summer. Odd Thanksgiving. Even Christmas.

He is responsible for all travel expenses, and must pick our son up at my residential address.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I do not know the answer to that question yet. I am currently going thourgh a divorce and would love to move from indy to north carlina to be closer to parents. But so far he has not agreed to that yet but looking for a job in south carlina so yes might be in different states. I am offering spring break, summer time so if want can see him parents in ca. and then holidays. I guess if cant agree then that is where our lawyers and the judge well step in.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• my friend's daughter lives with her mom 3 hours away. they switch every other week. its pretty hard on my friend because he has to find money/time/someone to drive him there and back every other week. but its worth it to him obviously.
    i dont have any personal experience with this however
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 3:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2011