What do you think about our education system?

SoundReading

Asked by SoundReading at 2:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in

• in short....it blows
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I guess it varies by state.I live in PA and for what i understand the education really sucks out here
    crazymom36

Answer by crazymom36 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• For some people/places it can be fantastic, for others, a dismail failure.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It depends on the tax base, the othe funding, etc.

We are in an excellent school district now. We just moved from an absolutely horrible one that we would never have allowed our son to attend.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 3:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• For the most part, it stinks.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 3:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It's really screwed up, and the focus on testing has only made things worse.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It stinks, relies on standarized testing way too much, is dumbing down our kids and making it so we can not compete globally. The US is 25th in the world for the education system. That is sad. If you want a good book about how bad the US public school system has been since the 1970's read, "Waiting on Superman" by Davis Guggenheim. It is a real eye opener.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It varies widely depending on the area, but overall I think it's not great. I do however, think that a child can get a good education in ANY system if the parents are aware and involved, they just may have to work a lot harder to get it than someone in a better district.

Answer by missanc at 8:08 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I just feels to me like the education system is letting a lot of students fall through the cracks. I read a book in college called The Teacher Who Couldnt Read by John Corcoran it was really eye opening
    SoundReading

Comment by SoundReading (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• not a fan, not even of those which are considered to be better schools
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2011