Do you like or prefer some notice when your in-laws are coming or does it matter?

Mine are coming to spend one night on their way to somewhere else.
At first I was told that they were just "stopping by" , which to me, means that it's a short visit for few hours or so.
Now I'm told that they are stopping by to spend the night.
I would like a little more notice when this happens. I like to be able to provide everyone with everything they need or want. Also, we do not have a guest room so the sleeping arrangements get moved about for this. I just don't understand why they do this to me even after I have made my wishes known and why. I just don't get it.

How about you...do you like some notice when IL's are coming for visit or stay?

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 2:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Just for Fun

• "Stopping by," to me, means staying under an hour! Frankly, I would be freaking out right about now. Overnight guests are way more of an effort than just a visit.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Our house is pretty flexible. I figure, if you are dropping in on someone last minute, it's silly to expect the place to be set up like a hotel. In terms of moving things around for sleeping arrangements, I would ask them to help! If you need someone to run to the store for extra supplies, I say ask one of them to do it!

I LOVE having company and it doesn't stress me to have extra people in the house. I am not shy about asking for people to pitch in, if I need help setting up things for everyone to be comfortable. I think that's the only way to make it work and for everyone to have a good time.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• yes u def need some notice... esp for an over night stay .. my inlaws used to drop by unannounced at 10 pm to 'visit the kids' ... i put a stop to that
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I do like a notice a few days before. Iif I have to change my plans for them they should be kind enough to give me a heads up.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I guess I'd only prefer a days notice but it wouldn't bother me much. We don't have an extra room either but I think we could manage doing some last minute changes and if I didn't have everything they needed, they can use what we have
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Definitely request NOTICE!!!
    Vian.aram

Answer by Vian.aram at 2:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I need lots of notice - so I can have my boss (who's a friend) call me into work for an emergency meeting. ; )
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 3:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I like notice when anyone wants to stop by let alone spend the night.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• That's not an issue for me.  My in-laws live in England.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• His parents are 14 hours away. So, I have plenty of notice. It takes them 2 days to drive here. They stop at my sil which is the half way point.
    SweetPea726

Answer by SweetPea726 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2011