Do you willingly by products from a company that tests on animals?

I am EXTREMELY picky about the products we use in this house. I do my best to be Chemical free, or as close as humanly possible. I've been using a SunScreen (which I rarely use anyways) which is rated very low in the danger factor (cosmetic's database) but I was just reading all the specs and it says the company still test on animals, so I will be finding a new company/sunscreen.

I made that statement on Facebook and my friends didn't understand why I wouldn't buy from a company that does animal testing. Seriously? How can people be okay with that? I was shocked!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• i dont really check but if i openly knew about it i wouldnt buy from that company
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• do you take any medications? those are all tested on animals first....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I am very cautious, or try to be.. I remember reading about this in High school and was devistated by it and started caring then.. some/many people think, better an animal die than a human die using a product..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• There is no product available for sale in the United States that didn't have animal testing at some point. Even if the final product isn't tested, the ingredients have been. It's a requirement of the FDA to determine safety - since most people still think testing on animals is preferable to testing on people.

And if you're avoiding chemicals tested on animals, I really hope you never need chemotherapy.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i work very closely with the research community, and every life-saving medical breakthrough comes from animal testing. even if a particular sunscreen company today doesn't test on animals, the technology that makes sunscreen possible was originally tested on animals. you're already reaping the benefits of it in every aspect of your life. i do not support cruelty to animals, but i do support research.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 3:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Hi, I sell professional beauty supplies, the days are long gone when they tested on animals,, drugs is different though, they test on them to make sure they are safe for humans!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• No Peanutsmommy - we are medication free as well unless it's a case of life or death.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Kimigogo - if you believe companies don't test on animals you are sadly mistaken! Cosmetics, Skincare, Medications and even Food products are tested on animals! If you want to look it up, I can happily provide you with product and company names so that you can do the research yourself.

And I do understand that much of the technology that we use today was tested on animals at one time, but that doesn't mean I would have supported it them, or that I support the continued testing. Especially when things like skin care and cosmetics can be tested on humans, and with many companies today is... There is NEVER a reason to test on animals! There are enough people willing to do the testing for $50...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• it doesn't matter that much to me that they test on animals..i'm not saying its okay to be cruel to animals, but if a negative outcome came from any product's use, i'd rather it happen to an animal than a human. so, no, i don't purposely avoid products that use animal testing.

jmho
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Hello no! I did a paper on animal cruelty in highschool and sense that I am very aware of what I am buying and I make sure to let everyone around me know as well...its wrong and if you saw the photos and videos and information on it you would get sick.
    MissyNewMama

Answer by MissyNewMama at 4:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2011