Do you willingly by products from a company that tests on animals?

I am EXTREMELY picky about the products we use in this house. I do my best to be Chemical free, or as close as humanly possible. I've been using a SunScreen (which I rarely use anyways) which is rated very low in the danger factor (cosmetic's database) but I was just reading all the specs and it says the company still test on animals, so I will be finding a new company/sunscreen.

I made that statement on Facebook and my friends didn't understand why I wouldn't buy from a company that does animal testing. Seriously? How can people be okay with that? I was shocked!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I don't pay much attention but if I knew that it was then I would shop for something else. My 10 year old daughter is very attentive to labels and I would be in big trouble if she saw that we were using products tested on animals.
    Michelle83335

Answer by Michelle83335 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Hey, if hooking a chimp up to a car battery is gonna help us cure cancer/AIDS/fill in disease here...then I say red is positive, black is negative!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I buy most of my beauty products from Lush.  Watch this video and be impressed.  Their products are FABULOUS!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• beeky

• Beeky, I used to be an affiliate for Lush, til I looked them up on the database. Their products aren't nearly as good as they present them. I have stopped using them altogether. That said, they are definitely better than companies like Avon or Loncome... However, I have started researching just about everything we use, anything rated a 3 or higher for cosmetic or skin care use, we don't use!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• ever use an antibiotic wash? muscle rub? contact lens solution?

I guarantee, all have been tested on animals at some point
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I asked a question like this a while back. I think everyone answered that they either didn't care or didn't pay attention. If I somehow forget to check if something is tested on animals and afterwards I remember, I kick myself for weeks. I stopped buying products tested on animals (except for a few that were purchased when I was in a rush and distracted) almost 10 years ago when I was a teenager or pre-teen. No one seems to understand why I don't like it, either. I think it's sick that people think it's ok to torture animals so they can look pretty or something.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• That's part of the reason all my makeup is Natural/Organic. The company I work for is strictly all chemical and animal testing free. Of course, it's sometimes hard to stay away from things that have been tested. For example, I get such bad migraines and I can't live without my migrain pills. I don't know for sure but I would bet my money it was tested on animals. So I guess I just try and do my best to stay away from those products that do.
    BrandyBaby22

Answer by BrandyBaby22 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Medicines yes, but I usually try everything else before I give myself or my children medication. Anything else I do not read every little word, but I will always go for a product I know does not do animal testing if it is available than one I am not sure about.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:18 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• As another poster already stated, pretty much every chemical currently used in the beauty industry was already tested on animals at some point, so you are already benefiting from animal testing.

I work in the medical field and without animal testing we wouldn't have much to treat people with.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 12:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2011