My teenager smells BAD! help!

we r forster parenting my niece! and she has really bad bo! but i dont know wat to say to her i dont want to make her feel bad! i bought some clinical strength deo for her and it helps but she doesnt wear it all the time! and she doesnt shower much! idk i want to make a rule to shower at least every other day just so i can stop spraying down my furniture with frebrez every morning!
how would u talk to her about it?

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Try telling her it okay to shower every day. Just sit her down and have a heart to heart conversation. If you are fostering, then her home life has probably not been a good one. Have a conversation about hygiene, about her cycles, and everything else that probably was neglected.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Tell her. It should come from you not someone else. Tell her that most people shower daily and she should too.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Teach her about proper hygiene and how important it is. Tell her about the infections she can get from not washing. Take her to the store and have her pick out body wash and shampoo that she likes. Clinical strength deodarant is not going to work if she isn't showering. Make it a part of her daily routine. It is better she gets the talk from you rather than her friends teasing her. Has her parents taught her anything about hygiene? That is taught not something people automatically know.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• how old is she?

Good hygene habits are not something we are born with, you will have to teach her if she doesn't know....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• When I was a teen, my brothers were smelly and acted allergic to the shower. My father instituted a house-wide mandatory daily shower rule. Thank goodness, too! But really, you need ot tell her about her BO; it'll kinda hurt but imagine her having to hear it in the hallways of the high school - now that will be harsh!
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 3:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• my step brother had this same problem.. even when he would take showers and use deo.. I really have no idea why he would smell like that though. He would try to use cologne and everything and nothing worked! Maybe try talking to a Dr about it.. they may be able to help? Good luck!!
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• she is 15! when she was in school she showered every 3 days i think and wore some body spray so it wasnt bad but its summer now! and i keep the house at like 80 cuz im not paying a huge electric bill!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• tyfry7496 could not have said it any better--I agree!
    I think she has been neglected or possibly is in that teen lazy cycle or both. Taking her shopping and setting a household rule are great ideas and her feelings not getting squashed like a bug too!
    I have this problem with my SS when he comes here. His mom doesn't care if he doesn't shower for 2 weeks at a time. I could throw up when I have to pick him up. I told DH I will turn her butt in if it doesn't get any better than this. He absolutely REEKS! His head is dripping with grease, his hair stinks, he has B.O....so, I knowww where you're coming from. My dd's showered 1 or 2x a day so I'm not used to this at all. Talking did not help....it's laziness with Ethan. Pure laziness. Ughhh SORRY! That made me rant. :-(
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• No deodorant is going to work if she isn't washing. Thats all I know. I would hate to be in your shoes. Telling her something like that is a mistake, tho. It WILL hurt her feelings. Either do a daily shower rule, or take her shopping and make sure she has good shampoo and conditioner and body wash she likes. Maybe she will take the hint. But do NOT single her out. Not at 15. Im telling you, it will end any positive feelings she could have for you.
    martine1778

Answer by martine1778 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I would just say new house rule everyone showes daily
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:36 AM on Jun. 18, 2011