Looking for work programs /assistance for teenager about to graduate that has Asperger's, but is not suited for college.

Hello. I am looking to find resources in Texas for any work programs or assistance for teenagers about to graduate high school that have Asperger's syndrome, and that are not suited or ready for college. Maybe halfway houses with assistance to teach them to live on their own, hold a job, etc. There seems to be limited resources, or maybe I am just not making the right connections and / or looking in the right places. Any help or suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated.

allicat41

Asked by allicat41 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Contact your local Social Services
    does he have an IEP now thru school,because those folks can steer you in the right direction

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• He is home schooled and has been for the last 5 years. Not much social interaction. He is actually my boyfriend's little brother, who I have become very close to and love. We're trying to look at options for him. He will be 18 in November. I believe his Mom really wants him to find a good job and become as self sufficient as he can, but has a long way to go.
    allicat41

Comment by allicat41 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Job corps, or a vocational school,, depending on the severtiy of his conditon, they have wonderful training programs in both!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• try calling the local Autism society or your local department of DD(Developmentaly Delayed)
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 12:55 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2011