Do you punish your pre-schooler for pee and poop accidents?

JanieJo

Asked by JanieJo at 3:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No!!!! You can create problems if you do that.!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• no, I never did since just accidents. My two older ones were very good about going but now my youngest has had bladder problems which has lead to colon problems so I never punished them for making mistakes about going potty,etc.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• If it's an honest accident, NO, I would never punish them.

However I have a son who will poop his pants simply because he doesn't feel like going in to the bathroom, not because he had an accident - THAT I punish! This idea that "I'm too busy" to go to the bathroom so I just go in my pants, does NOT fly in my house!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• No, they can eventually become scared to go, which can mentally scar the child and also cause UTIs
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• The only time I punished my daughter was a few weeks ago when she went into her room, came out a minute later and said she peed in her pants. I asked her why and she said she wanted to. So it was not an accident which I knew before she told. She barely ever has accidents and when she does its at night when she is so tired she doesnt wake up. I wouldnt punish her if it was an actual accident because accidents happen and most kids feel bad enough that they had one that you dont need to make it any worse.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• No, that seems like a really stupid idea.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• We haven't had poop accidents since they potty trained, but we do have ocaissional pee accidents.  I don't punish them for it, but I do inconvenience them by having them clean themselves up and carry their wet undies and clothes to the washing machine. 

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My DD is 4 and rarely has any accidents so I know when she does, it was REALLY an accident -- besides, she HATES having it on her so that is bad enough. So no punishment -- never have punished her for anything having to do with potty training.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Never.
    Punishment and reward doesn't work for disciplining children anyway, but you shouldn't discipline a child for something that is actually an accident! That would be like punishing a child for tripping - totally unfair.
    Many parents try to toilet-train a child who is simply too young and immature. If your child is having a lot of accidents, wait. Try again in about six months.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2011