My ex is asking ME for alimony!!!!! vent

I am getting divorced. My ex just filed to get alimony. I had my degree before we got married, I stayed at home and worked from home in order to raise our 4 children. Yes, I make $100,000 a year or close to it (I no longer work from home because the children are all in school) and he makes about $40,000. But why should I have to pay him because he makes less? He already isn't paying child support even though I have all 4 12 days out of every 14 but really, he wants money from me?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• Hmm I'm no legal expert here, but if there is no major fault on anyone, just irreconcilable differences I don't see anyone getting or paying anything.

yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• But a douche bag he is
    yesmaam

• If the roles were reversed (and you made 40K to his 100K) wouldn't you ask for alimony? You might think it sucks but it is his legal right to file for it.
    Anonymous

• The law is equal in all repects. If it were reversed people would expect a man to pay the woman. But he should pay child support. Be careful he might try to get them just to get extra money. I wonder why people get so mad when one person wants a prenup?
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 3:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Unfortunately, alimony works both ways. How long you were together makes a big difference as to the amount and for how long.. Make sure your attorney is on top of it and IF it does get awarded ask that it be for No more than 12-18 months. Also DEMAND he pay child support. Maybe you could forego child support for 12-18 months as his 'alimony" then CS kicks in. Good Luck!
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Ladies he will not pay child support if she has the kids, it is income based.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• If you have the kids I wouldn't think he is able to get alimony.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• We were together 20 years, however, he didn't put me through school nor did he give up his career to support mine (which is supposed to be what alimony is for) in fact, I put him through school, he is an engineer tech (3 years of school, he didn't work just went to school while I paid for everything, including his tuition. He can't get the kids, that has already been ordered because of a run in he had with the law. Plus none of them want to live with him and he only has a 2 bedroom condo
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Alimony is a two way street. Due to the income difference, he can be awarded the alimony. Good luck.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• yesmaan, actually he would still pay.
    I can give a very specific example. My DH's ex makes 180k a year, Dh makes much less than half of that, yet we pay child support, and yes, she has custody.

What they do is they take both incomes and add them together, then decide how much money would be spent on the kids if they were still together, then the noncustodial spouse pays a percentage of that, based on his percentage of income to hers.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2011